What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gradient how to

Juc1

Hi all,

Any ideas please for how I can get a gradient something like the attached eg which gradient picker (I don't think it is foreground to background) and which gradient (I don't think it is linear) or any other suggestions?

Thank you :)

Attachments

• blue.png
    blue.png
    3.1 KB · Views: 5
Is it not just dark blue to black? and change the angle slightly to the right?

Wouldnt let me edit my post :s

Is it not just blue to a darker blue? and change the angle slightly to the right?

@ Vetoed thanks so do you mean it is gradient picker foreground to background and gradient linear? But how do I change the angle to the right?

There are a lot of shades of blue but of course the change is not something obvious like left to right or top to bottom or an obvious radial.

Thanks

Just start your gradient tool at a different angle, rather than just straight up or down. You can start at a corner and angle to the other corner or to the middle, etc. I would suggest you practice this on a large square or some shape that is not so narrow as this one. Then you will get to see much better how the gradient tool operates. Experiment with the radial too so that you get different ideas of it.

Ok, I think I'm having a monitor issue here................... I see a dark blue, to a minimally lighter, but still very dark blue linear gradient that is almost perfectly horizontal. No angle. Is that what everyone else is seeing?

Here is a larger version of what I see.

blueGradient1.jpg

I see a dark blue, to a minimally lighter, but still very dark blue linear gradient that is almost perfectly horizontal. No angle. Is that what everyone else is seeing?
Looking at your square I can maybe just about see that the blue is lighter at the top and then gets darker moving to the bottom - is that what you mean by 'linear gradient that is almost perfectly horizontal'? Anyway the movement of the colour is quite subtle / hard to identify which is what I like about it.

I agree with you Sam, except I think your gradient example is too subtle as ai can barely see the hue change. But maybe it's my monitor.

We won't go into the issue of whether it's my eyes (which is why I got a 23 inch external monitor for Christmas!) . . . :cool2: <-- blind person

The blue is lighter at the top. This gradient was made using the colors from your example.
This is a linear gradient I applied to my example was done using the shift key, so it's perfectly horizontal.

Just start your gradient tool at a different angle, rather than just straight up or down. You can start at a corner and angle to the other corner or to the middle, etc.
Yeah I have done that but I still find that the gradient is kinda obvious ie you can see the start and end of the gradient tool. I wondered if there was an alternative to dragging in a straight line (like maybe a curve) but I guess not. Anyway I will keep trying...

Thanks

LOL!!! It almost is Clare! That was my point from the first example! All I could see was mostly blue without a gradient. WhenI downloaded it into Ps, there was a slight gradation. I sampled the two colors and made my examples. I can see a slight gradation in both Ps and the versions I uploaded on my monitor, but the difference is very subtle. I did not see any angles though.

All I could see was mostly blue without a gradient. WhenI downloaded it into Ps, there was a slight gradation.
Re my original attachment I can see there is some kind of gradient but it is hard to say what it is (maybe because the shades of blue are close together). With eye-dropper you can see it has many shades of blue (maybe hundreds??).

I sampled the two colors and made my examples. I can see a slight gradation in both Ps and the versions I uploaded on my monitor, but the difference is very subtle. I did not see any angles though.
Ok so do you mean it is gradient picker = foreground (lighter blue) to background (darker blue), linear gradient and 'no angles' = drag gradient tool straight down from top to bottom?

Thanks

Yes, gradient tool, choose foreground to background gradient, define the colors your desire, choose linear, radial, angle, etc. and then drag a gradient from any direction you desire. If it does not look good, control/command + Z and try again.

you need to either adjust the gradient settings, or try the workaround which is to start the tool outside of teh image area and end it there as well. This will give you more of the middle subtle shift with less color gradation. You may need to adjust your color swatches, but give that a try.

Back