What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Specific Gradients and Elliptical Marquee tools in PS

polarwoc

Guru
If anyone can add their thoughts or suggestions to the two issues I raise, that would be great. I tried recreating the old SpaceJam logo which I did here, but I am not very satisfied with the result:
Untitled-1@0,25x.png
Specifically, :
1) The gradients and their smoothness. The four colours: Blue, Violet, Red, Orange, Yellow are not all visible in all four of the rings. In contrast, Illustrator has a neat provision to move sliders for each colour whenever you apply the gradient at layer level rather than on the top options panel. This allows for later changes and individual changes to different gradients used in the same file.
Maybe something like this...
Screen Shot 2020-09-01 at 10.38.15 PM.png
@IamSam If you created the slanted concentric ellipses with gradient on them, I would like to learn the gradient options you used to get that smooth transition between colours in the rings.

2) Method to create concentric ellipses in PS. I have simply made concentric circles each in its own layer, filled them with colour, selected all layers, used Transform to make it an ellipse and then slanted the ellipse. Is there an easier approach to this?
...I figured out the ring...
@Agley143 If you can, please share your method of designing the rings.

thebestcpu

Guru
Specifically, :
1) The gradients and their smoothness. The four colours: Blue, Violet, Red, Orange, Yellow are not all visible in all four of the rings. In contrast, Illustrator has a neat provision to move sliders for each colour whenever you apply the gradient at layer level rather than on the top options panel. This allows for later changes and individual changes to different gradients used in the same file.

Good questions about gradients.
Since you mentioned the neat features in Illustrator, why not create the pieces you need in Illustrator and bring them in as Smart Objects in Photoshop for additional transformations if needed? That way, if you need to do any tweaking, just open up the Smart Object and you are back in Illustrator for fine tuning and File > Save and jump back to PS.
If you need a hammer and a saw, why try to do it with just one of them?
Just a thought
John Wheeler

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
@IamSam If you created the slanted concentric ellipses with gradient on them, I would like to learn the gradient options you used to get that smooth transition between colours in the rings.
Sorry so late with a response. With the C-19 running rampant here, we have been crazy busy at the hospital.

I did not create the concentric ring(s) gradient. I think I downloaded the PSD file that I have been using HERE from @Dormeur74

Edited...........did not read the technique correctly.........mine would be different. See post below.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Here's a quick rundown...........not perfect, just a demo.

Create a gradient....
Screen Shot 2020-11-08 at 3.05.45 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-11-08 at 2.58.41 PM.png

Trim with a layer mask.....
Screen Shot 2020-11-08 at 2.59.17 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-11-08 at 2.59.36 PM.png

Duplicate and resize.......
Screen Shot 2020-11-08 at 3.00.57 PM.png

Merge and Transform...........
Screen Shot 2020-11-08 at 3.02.12 PM.png

thebestcpu

Guru
Sorry so late with a response. With the C-19 running rampant here, we have been crazy busy at the hospital.

I did not create the concentric ring(s) gradient. I think I downloaded the PSD file that I have been using HERE from @Dormeur74

Edited...........did not read the technique correctly.........mine would be different. See post below.
Thanks for the quick rundown @IamSam. The referenced PSD file is no longer at the link in the post to which you referred yet your instructions pretty much covers all the bases.
John Wheeler

polarwoc

Guru
Thanks for the inputs, guys!

I think I downloaded the PSD file that I have been using HERE from @Dormeur74
Would you happen to have the PSD file still? I attempted to download it before too, but the link is broken. I just want to see if I can pick up any different ways of doing the gradient in PS.

Here's a quick rundown...
Thanks again for the detailed effort, Sam. I followed a similar method, but was trying to see if PS offers a better way of creating a slanting ellipse rather than transform a circle.

If you need a hammer and a saw, why try to do it with just one of them?
So true, John. Guess I will have to take the plunge and get used to the nitty gritty of Illustrator. Logo replication is definitely not something that can be best achieved in PS. "Right tool for the right job" the wise men said.