What's new

halftones... I think? Need Help!


New Member
So I am trying to figure out how to do this effect shown in the picture, but I am having some trouble. I am assuming it has something to do with halftones, which I have used before, but I am not sure if I am on the right track. I really like it, as it has kind of a screen printed vibe to it. If anyone can direct me to a video tutorial or can explain I would be very grateful. I am a pretty experienced photoshop user, but this just seemed a little beyond me.


Last edited:


Hi bfruit21

The image below has 4 sections showing progression on how I duplicated a similar type of halftone effect

- Top image: create B&W graytone image of your original
- Next down: Use Adustment Curves layer to limit the gray area to be limited to just the portions where you want the graytone with the rest of the image being black or white. Either create a stamped Layer or turn these two Layers into a Smart Ojbect
- Next Image down: Apply the Filter > Pixelate > Color Halftone and set the values all to be equal to each other except for the dot size which you choose for the best dot size effect
- Apply a Gradient Map adjustment Layer set with the two colors you desire for black and white respectively

I did not give you all the details yet since you are experienced in PS, thought this should do it for you and hope it helps.

Click on the image to see it at full size.