What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hand-drawn style for Architectural renders

agent_melon

Hi everybody,

I'm not a complete novice to photoshop but I'm having trouble recreating the effect shown below. I'm looking to turn my architectural renders (done with Vray in 3dsmax) into something that looks hand-drawn, almost. The example shown below is from another student who graduated a couple of years ago. I suspect his workflow was similar - a base 3d render made grayscale and then edited - but how do I recreate those soft gradient changes that make it look like it's a graphite drawing? I'm wary of using one of those pencil-sketch Photoshop actions because they come out naff and don't give the look I'm after.

Any help is much appreciated! :cool2:

Render.JPG

Hello and welcome to PSG.

Would it be possible for you to upload your rendering for us practice with?

Thanks!

Sorry I have been very busy today. I'm taking a look at it now. Will let you know when I have something.

OK, I made a side by side comparison and made a few slight adjustments. Mainly I added a Black & White adjustment layer, a noise layer, and a slight blur.

It's not perfect but it's a start.
HandDrawnRender_01.png

Second variation, basically the same on this time I added a curves adjustment layer:
HandDrawnRender_02.png

What about this sort of effect that I have applied to the horizontal wall above the window - I think it is similar to your original example?

Untitled-1.jpg

I did this very quickly and crudely to show you - it would be quite time consuming for the whole image.

Cheers

John

Last edited:

Back