What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

hard drive heat

ronmatt

Guru
On my new HP, I am contstantly getting warnings that the HD is too hot. ( 50 C or 122 f )
My Dell and Mac run about 45C to 48C with no problem. Is 50C dangerous and if not, what is.
Thanks in advance

MindBender

Guru
I can't find any hard data on this right off, but what I remember (this is just me trying to remember here) is that you want desktops to day at about 40?C and laptops between 40?50?C. Above that is starting to become troublesome... around 60?C is where it becomes a danger of failure.

These aren't hard numbers, and it would be dependent on the particular system and drive hardware. I would probably just google around to see... look for maybe forums that deal with overclocking, they'll know all the tricks and numbers for temperature.

MindBlasting

Hi ronmatt,

On my new HP, I am contstantly getting warnings that the HD is too hot. ( 50 C or 122 f )
My Dell and Mac run about 45C to 48C with no problem. Is 50C dangerous and if not, what is.
Thanks in advance

ronmatt will you plz tell me, if your using any software ie showing you the warning message that your HD is too hot........................or any particular app that came with your HP.

>This may be do to many reasons........... may be the setting in bios you made.....ie to give a warning message if your cpu temperature exceeds.........or..... you will be warned if your hard disk may exceed the temperature limit that you set in the bios setting.

You can revert back your PC bios to default. use " load bios defaults/Bios with ****.

Plz check these things and post your issuse of particular reason.

Gaussian

Retired Administrator
How high is your room temperature if you measure 45, 48 and 50C? Because what's I am interested in is delta temperature, meaning the difference between ambient temperature and hard drive temperature. I can tell you right now though, that not only 50C, but also 45C and 48C are too high. It will also result in higher temperatures for other components, because let's face it... air that comes in from the front needs to cool your PC, but it loses much of its purpose if it's heated up this much from the start. ;)

MindBlasting said:
ronmatt will you plz tell me, if your using any software ie showing you the warning message that your HD is too hot........................or any particular app that came with your HP.

>This may be do to many reasons........... may be the setting in bios you made.....ie to give a warning message if your cpu temperature exceeds.........or..... you will be warned if your hard disk may exceed the temperature limit that you set in the bios setting.

You can revert back your PC bios to default. use " load bios defaults/Bios with ****.

Why turn off the message? It doesn't solve the actual problem.

MindBlasting

Gaussian i don't mean to turn off the message.

what i want to say is that the message may be kept to too low temperature response.

I wanted him to use default bios settings or set the temperature, depending on his surrounding temperature.

Gaussian

Retired Administrator
MindBlasting said:
what i want to say is that the message may be kept to too low temperature response. I wanted him to use default bios settings or set the temperature, depending on his surrounding temperature.

Ronmatt's computer is saying that his drive runs at 50C/122F. Changing the temperature level at which his computer gives an alarm doesn't change the fact that all his hard drives are still running very hot. And what do you mean with low temperature response? 50C is simply way too hot and then we're not even talking about mid summer. HP made the right decission to give an alarm at 50C.

ronmatt

Guru
OK.. I was sure that 50C was too high. trouble is it's the s3020n Slimline and very small, compact and crowded. There's less room to work then there is in a new car's engine. I can't even see the HD. I'm thinking of removing the vertically mounted DVD drive to expose the HD to circulating air and jerry rigging a fan in it's place, just to keep air flowing over it.( by the way, my studio is air conditioned and maintains about 72 F /24 / 7.
attached is a scr shot of the dell temps. I never had a problem with it at these temps. The bottom drive is pretty old and not too efficient except as a scratch disk.

Gaussian

Retired Administrator
ronmatt said:
my studio is air conditioned and maintains about 72 F /24 / 7.
72F is about the temperature in my room during the winter. To give you an impression as what kind of temperatures to expect with descent cooling and cool running hard drives; at that temperature my 3 drives run between 28-31C/82-87F. I actually have to lower the speed of the front fan to get their temperature slightly higher, because temperatures that are too low aren?t good either.

A few months ago I came across this Google research document:

http://209.85.163.132/papers/disk_failures.pdf

According to Google's study 35C-40C (95F-104F) is the most ideal temperature for younger drives. Drives older than 3 year seem to last longer between 30C-35C (86F-95F) and anything higher and lower will according to Google lead to much higher failure rates. Personally I prefer to have my drives running in the low thirties.

Sadly Google doesn't mention which hard drive brands were tested.