What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Having a problem with slicing tool

imagemaker

I am trying to divide up frames from a sprite sheet and separate them into individual files. I am not able to export to web to proceed. Please see my screenshot and assist if you can.

Attachments

• slice tool.JPG
    slice tool.JPG
    309.3 KB · Views: 4

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Take a look here:

I also noticed that you have to click on each slice and change to PNG-24, otherwise they will save as a GIF.

imagemaker

Thanks for the great video, but it doesn't answer my question. When I do the same thing and then go to export, I don't get the web option.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
What version of Ps are you using? Can you provide a screen shot of what you do get when you go to FILE > EXPORT

imagemaker

Another question came up for me. It seems when I did the slicing and separated the frames, even though they appear as thumbnails having a white box around them, they don't when I put them in the game. The original sprite sheet doesn't have a transparent background, so how come the background is not carried over? Does slicing somehow separate the sprite from it's background?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Does slicing somehow separate the sprite from it's background?
All the sprite sheets I have ever dealt with had transparent backgrounds.

Examples.........
Screen Shot 2018-03-29 at 7.46.04 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-03-29 at 7.47.17 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-03-29 at 7.47.57 AM.png

If you want them to have a background you must add a background layer before you slice.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The image I posted has a white background.
Please, I'm trying to help you out here. I think you are having anotother problem but I need to rule out that it's the sprite sheets. Can you please post the sprite sheet from your first post. I dont think it has a white background.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The original sprite sheet doesn't have a transparent background, so how come the background is not carried over? Does slicing somehow separate the sprite from it's background?

Sorry it took me awhile to get back with you, busy as usual. OK, I stand corrected in that your right some sprite sheets do have colored backgrounds. I find this odd and certainly not consistent with any that I have worked with to date and it may be due to the source of the sheets. Most sprite sheets I have worked with appear to have colored backgrounds, but after downloading or opening in Ps the backgrounds disappear. If you want a BG, you have to add one. (Side note, my experience with sprite sheets was only separating individual sprites using the Slice Tool for some of my clients)

On the two examples above, I got the existing colored BG of the sheet after slicing......
PPG-sprites_03.pngslice2_03.png

As you can see, slicing does not separate the sprite from it's background. PNG does not support layers.

It seems when I did the slicing and separated the frames, even though they appear as thumbnails having a white box around them, they don't when I put them in the game.
I have to admit that I thought you were talking about a Photoshop function and not the function of other software. For this matter you may need to check with others who are more familiar with the other software.

Maybe some of our other members have experience with this matter.

imagemaker

Thanks. Another question, but related. How can I make edits to one frame from a sprite sheet and have that automatically duplicated or mirrored in the other frames? Say for instance I draw a hat on a character from a sprite sheet I have found. Is there a shortcut so I don't have to draw it exactly the same for each frame?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sorry, there's simply no automatic way to do this.
Draw your hat on a new layer. You can duplicate the hat layer as many times as needed. You will have the reposition the hat for each sprite frames using free transform unless the head position of the sprite in the frames stays the same.

imagemaker

How would you duplicate it? Would you just copy and paste the layer from one file to another? Do you know where I can find a good video tutorial on manipulating sprites in PS? I can't seem to find a good one.