What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello white balance question setting white balance in CS5 without using ACR

dichro1

Just an old photographer trying to keep up.
[h=2]setting white balance in CS5 without using ACR[/h]
I know how to set White Balance using ACR, And how to get a .jpg into ACR. I prefer the one click in ACR, but...........I have the following questions...............

1. However, I'd like to know what you can do to set white balance in PS without using ACR.

2. Can you get a .jpg into ACR with PSElements?

3. If not, how do you set white balance in PSElements?​

Hi dichro1.

1. There are lots of ways to do that.
This is pretty complicated I hope you can follow it.

I like using Image|Adjustment| Threshold then sliding up and down to find the lightest and darkest parts of the image.
Use Shift+right click to mark the lightest, slide the slider in Thresholds the other way and use Shift+Right click to mark the darkest part, then cancel out of Thresholds.

The Info window should be open and you will see the Red, Green, and Blue numbers for shadows and highlights.
ss.jpg

Use Curves and adjust Red, Green, and Blue so the highlights are 245 and the shadows are 10.

2. Yes I'm pretty sure you can.
3. See #2 and I'm pretty sure #1 works in Elements.

I have to ask, why not shoot in Raw and eliminate all these questions and problems?

Hi dichro1.

1. There are lots of ways to do that.
This is pretty complicated I hope you can follow it.

I like using Image|Adjustment| Threshold then sliding up and down to find the lightest and darkest parts of the image.
Use Shift+right click to mark the lightest, slide the slider in Thresholds the other way and use Shift+Right click to mark the darkest part, then cancel out of Thresholds.

The Info window should be open and you will see the Red, Green, and Blue numbers for shadows and highlights.
View attachment 21589

Use Curves and adjust Red, Green, and Blue so the highlights are 245 and the shadows are 10.

2. Yes I'm pretty sure you can.
3. See #2 and I'm pretty sure #1 works in Elements.

I have to ask, why not shoot in Raw and eliminate all these questions and problems?

I just got a new camera that doesn't do RAW. In CS5 I simply have ACR open .jpgs too and I have a one click white balance to start off with.

Friends ask me how to do it in PSE. So it's not quite the same. Thanks for your help.

Back