What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help!… can't draw curved lines anymore

markbriscoe

Hello… I don't know what I have done, but when using the brush/pencil tool it now only draws straight lines (horizontal and vertical). If I try to draw a diagonal line, for example, it just comes out as a staircase. Any ideas?

Thanks
Mark

PseFrank

Hi Mark...are you trying to draw lines on a very small canvas with a low resolution, such as 100px by 100px set at 72 res? If you have this blown up on your screen to 400 or 500 percent, it would show the symptoms you have described.

Twelvebitstyle

I am extremely interested to see where this thread goes. I tried to produce the results that Mark is experiencing to no avail. But if this ever did happen to me it would drive me insane. Would be nice to know what caused this PS behavior.

markbriscoe

Unfortunately (or fortunately) I don't think its likely we are going to find out how this 'problem' occurred because the brush tool has spontaneously started working normally again. PseFrank, no it wasn't the sort of staircase effect you get when you zoom into blocks of pixels... These were PS docs that I had worked on before and they are quite hi-rez. Actually I would love to know how it occurred because it was quite spectacular.

Okay...As I wrote the above, I realized that when the problem occurred I had the grid switched on (view/show/grid) just tried it again and that seems to be what is provoking this crazy line-work. Its strange because I've used the grid before and I don't recall having problems like this. Could be just a glitch I suppose. This isn't normal is it? when you have the grid selected?

PseFrank

Okay...As I wrote the above, I realized that when the problem occurred I had the grid switched on (view/show/grid) just tried it again and that seems to be what is provoking this crazy line-work. Its strange because I've used the grid before and I don't recall having problems like this. Could be just a glitch I suppose. This isn't normal is it? when you have the grid selected?

I wonder did you have snap to grid checked? (Via the view menu)

Ivan Skoro

Just for your information, DPI has nothing to do with resolution.
Also, no matter how small your resolution is, you can always draw freely with pen.

I think you have snap to grid as PseFranks stated. Or, you're holding shift all the time :D

markbriscoe

I checked in 'view' and 'snap' was selected (not 'snap to' ...'snap to' has a drop-down menu but nothing was selected there) I deselected 'snap' and that would seem to be the cause of the problem. don't know how it got selected before. I certainly didn't select it...not consciously anyway. Thanks very much PseFrank, that's cleared it up....

Ivan Skoro

You have to see the grid, then it snaps to grid if you have that checked.
With shift you can draw at 0, 90, and 45 angle.

markbriscoe

Thanks Ivan. That's very useful info. When I hold down the shift key with the grid, I find I can draw a line, then if I click another area (still holding shift) it immediately connects a straight line to the point I have clicked...