What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help creating an airplane path in Photoshop

Miffy

Hi there,

I'm new to this forum and Photoshop. I'm intending to do a course in using Photoshop but it doesn't start until September, so in the mean time, I'm teaching myself using tutorials and forums etc.

I am trying to recreate a design that I saw on the net. The problem is, I can't get my head around the pen tool at all :rolleyes:

Is there a simpler way to create the path? I've tried doing it freehand but it ends up all over the place.

Kind regards,

Miffy

P.S. I've attempted to attach the original design that inspired me.

Attachments

• Travel-Inspired-Italy-Letterpress-Wedding-Invitations.jpg
    Travel-Inspired-Italy-Letterpress-Wedding-Invitations.jpg
    383.3 KB · Views: 54
  • birthday-air-girls-boarding-pass-invitation-printable-file.jpg
    birthday-air-girls-boarding-pass-invitation-printable-file.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 52
i might be able to do it for you but if you wanna keep the picture private then you would have to practice on the pen tool because it will give you perfect results.

Ha ha. You have chosen to start your Photoshop learning process using the hardest selection tool in the toolkit! But when it comes to smooth or hard-edged images where you need precision, it is the only tool worth using, IMO.

Be patient, pat yourself on the back for your ambition, and if you can't get it, try other selection techniques. Most classes start out teaching you how to use the selection tools, all of them. There are plenty that work, but some just need a little cleanup. Not a problem; you'll be doing tweaking in a lot of PS projects. Don't expect everything to take 5 minutes or for PS to do the work. Anyway, pen tool videos:

http://www.photoshopgurus.com/forum...hotoshop-pen-tool-video-tutorial-tutcast.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDrtyNmp3A4

Good luck with these. As I said, don't expect miracles. Just keep having fun!

Might help if I read more carefully. You want to make lines. Well, the tutorials will still help you. It'll just be easier since you have a bit more choice as to the end result.

It takes time and patience to learn the pen tool but it's invaluable. Here are some tips:

For straight points you click.

For curve points you drag.
Drag in the direction you want the curve to go. Example: for a curve going up = click and drag up.

Hold the ctrl key to move a point or handle.
Hold alt - click and drag: add handles to a straight point.
Hold alt - click: converts curve point to a straight point.

Check the box in the top tool bar for Auto Add/Delete then:
Clicking on an existing point will delete it.
Clicking a blank spot on the path will add a point.

Change direction of a curve = hold alt & drag a handle in the direction you wish to go

Attachments

• ScreenShot002.jpg
    ScreenShot002.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 52
One of the best brief descriptions i have seen here for a long time mate.

Hawkey,

I coulda used that brief tutorial about 3 years ago! Where were you? I had to learn it the hard way - by study and practice!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh!

Agent

Hi hawkeye
Thanks for the link. But it is too advanced for me. I installed photoshop for the first time 2 days ago for a school assignment...

Back