What's new

Help identifying/recreating an "effect"?

terrylee

Hello! First time poster here, looking for some help! Hope everyone's doing well!

I was just going through some movie posters, and I was curious as to what the label for this "effect" or filter (again, not sure), would be:
Rosemarys-Baby-1968-Movie-Poster.jpg

What I'm talking about is Mia Farrow/Rosemary's face, along with the green hue accompanying it. How would one go about recreating something like this? Some opacity editing for the face? What about the green? Heck, even the noise/graininess. This is just something I'd like to learn how to do.

Would love any help you guys could give me! Thanks :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Raptor.exe

From what I'm seeing, the way I personally would do it is:
- Gradient light green to darker green background
- Lower the opacity on the face
- Add a texture overlay
- Then add vignette

I'm sure there are other ways of doing this, this is just what I'm getting from looking at the picture. I hope it helped :)

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
As with most inquiries about a technique, I usually try to see if I can recreate it or at least come close.

This was a way more involved than I had expected it to be. It was 11 layers, many with masks, and multiple techniques.

As for labeling the effect, not sure that I can since so many were used.

The Primary Tools I used were:
The Brush Tool
The Gradient Tool
The Elliptical Marquee Tool

I used a Solid Color Fill adjustment layer for coloration. I had to play with the blending modes to find the right one. I also used the Noise and Gaussian blur filters. Almost all layers required an opacity change.

Screen Shot 2014-10-08 at 4.34.25 PM.png