What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help making a pressed button effect

ronlv

Hello everyone,
I'm new here in this site and on Photoshop.
I'm making a project on Visual Basic and what I'm trying to make is two pictures:
one regular of a button with a nice frame.
the second is that same button only having the effect of being pressed and pushed down.
So I will program in VB that when the user presses the button it makes the effect of like a 3d pressed button.

I have made this button so far:
fleetbutton.gif

and I would like to add it this frame (don't mind the other buttons):

stockvectorbluebuttons1.jpg

I have no idea how to do this.. Need help :)

I'm using CS5 and my operating system is windows 7 if it helps ;)

Thank you everyone !

Hi Ronlv

I'm not sure how familiar you are with photoshop so apologies if this is "teaching granny to suck eggs" as they say in my part of the world... but perhaps the easiest way is to add a drop shadow layer style when the button is "up" and a bevel / emboss layer style when the button is down. With that in place you can play around with the highlights etc to make the effect look more convincing. I also think you will need to adjust the shape of either your button or frame to make it more believable.

There will be more convincing ways to make this effect but this was the easiest I could think of.

Cheers

webwize

That actually seems very good ! thank you very much for the help.
By the way I wrote I'm new with photoshop so you teeched me new things :)

Cant you have it light up when pressed or dim if you have it lit in the first place.

Thank you everyone I used all of your tips + played a bit with outside/inside stroke

Back