What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help required to create a frame worthy picture!

Ryan263

Hi, my wife took this image of our 3yr old daughter at ballet. We would very much like to have this gracing on of walls; and the grand parents would also like a copy too!
I would like the background faded as much as possible and then gray scaled, whilst maybe retaining some of the colour in my daughters ballet costume and shoes. I am however open to suggestion and any help would be gratefully received.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    826 KB · Views: 14

Tom Mann

Guru
Going along with brainstorming various ideas, I think a little motion blur, moving the subject off of center and re-cropping would help, but I'm between meetings and didn't have time to get it right(*), but something along these lines, perhaps. I also added a (very obviously) fake frame to show how it might look. Also, because Colleague did such a nice job at isolating the subject, I hope you don't mind, but I started with your version to make this little sketch.

Sorry ... got to run.

Tom M

(*) - By "get it right", I was thinking of suggesting both horizontal and vertical motion, maybe a curved blur trail, not just the simple horizontal blur like I did to quickly knock out this draft version. Also, maybe a two-toned or gradient background to suggest the difference between the wall in back of her and the floor underneath her.

Attachments

• ballet-colleague's_version-tjm01-ps05a_8bpc_crop2-698px-01.jpg
    ballet-colleague's_version-tjm01-ps05a_8bpc_crop2-698px-01.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 32

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Hi, my wife took this image of our 3yr old daughter at ballet. We would very much like to have this gracing on of walls; and the grand parents would also like a copy too!
I would like the background faded as much as possible and then gray scaled, whilst maybe retaining some of the colour in my daughters ballet costume and shoes. I am however open to suggestion and any help would be gratefully received.

If she was dancing to music, any chance you remember what it was?

It might be good to add a blurred background scene related to the music.... eg Nutcracker, Swan Lake....

Tom Mann

Guru
The other obvious possibility is to put some motion blur on the background instead of the subject. This simulates a photographer dragging his shutter (i.e., using a longer than usual shutter duration) and panning his camera with the subject. An example of this technique is shown in this tutorial:
http://www.picturecorrect.com/tips/how-to-create-realistic-motion-blur-in-photoshop/

Because the background of this photo has a lot of large scale structure (eg, the wooden doors, the heater, kick plates at the bottom of the doors, etc.), I don't think this alternate approach will produce as pleasing a result as the blur-the-subject approach could be made to look (i.e., not my little example, but doing it correctly), but it would certainly be interesting for someone to compare the two approaches.

Just a thought.

Tom M

Tom Mann

Guru
Hi, Vee, I see we were both typing at the same time and had the same idea to give an approach which either blurs or replaces the background a try. +1

T

Last edited:

Ryan263

Going along with brainstorming various ideas, I think a little motion blur, moving the subject off of center and re-cropping would help, but I'm between meetings and didn't have time to get it right(*), but something along these lines, perhaps. I also added a (very obviously) fake frame to show how it might look. Also, because Colleague did such a nice job at isolating the subject, I hope you don't mind, but I started with your version to make this little sketch.

Sorry ... got to run.

Tom M

(*) - By "get it right", I was thinking of suggesting both horizontal and vertical motion, maybe a curved blur trail, not just the simple horizontal blur like I did to quickly knock out this draft version. Also, maybe a two-toned or gradient background to suggest the difference between the wall in back of her and the floor underneath her.

i love the idea of creating some motion blur and a two tone gradient background. I intend on printing the image onto a piece of acrylic without a frame so maybe a little feathering at the edges too? I used to play around with photoshop many years ago however I lost touch, and it's moved on so much now!

Ryan263

If she was dancing to music, any chance you remember what it was?

It might be good to add a blurred background scene related to the music.... eg Nutcracker, Swan Lake....

she was practising some sort of ballet run; that's as much as I know! The wife took this photo with her iPhone 6 and I don't think there was music playing

thebestcpu

Guru
A lot of creative ideas on how to approach your project.

I'll go back to a basic question. Is this the original image out of the iphone 6. As you can see from this crop of the posted image there is quite a bit of noise/posterization or jpeg artifacts. If what you posted is not the full unedited original image, then there might be a better starting point for any of the creative approaches. Just a thought:

Screen Shot 2016-02-27 at 10.10.22 PM.png

Ryan263

A lot of creative ideas on how to approach your project.

I'll go back to a basic question. Is this the original image out of the iphone 6. As you can see from this crop of the posted image there is quite a bit of noise/posterization or jpeg artifacts. If what you posted is not the full unedited original image, then there might be a better starting point for any of the creative approaches. Just a thought:

View attachment 62456

yes this is indeed the original photo. It was a lucky snap shot which I was hoping could be turned into something a little more special. Ordinarily I wouldn't ask but I'm under pressure from the wife! Appreciate its not the finest quality but this is it in its raw form