What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help sliceing this image up...

AndrewF

Ok this may be a bit different to what you guys are used to and I am sure to get many different replies...

I havew the below image sitting in Photoshop and want to make it a real website. I am using dreamweaver MX. I know how to slice up an image and use dreamweaver to put it back together again but what I was interested in was how would YOU design the slices??? what I mean is show me where you would apply the slices.

I know it depends on what content is going on the page but hopefully you should be able to work out where the text sections and menus will be.

Anyway give it a go and let's see how many different responses we get :)

Cheers,

Andrew

wbiss

Guru
[confused] It's not within the realm of my area of knowledge, AndrewF, but I look forward to seeing how those "in the know" would tackle your project! :D Good Luck! ;)

sfm

Guru
Andrew are the text on this image buttons/links? one would assume so...... then you would have to isolate them............ a very quick view below - you may want to have more slices as your page may have to grow with the text but as I don't know this at this stage I have simply disected it generally to line up with the lest amount of slices

probably not how I would do it (as I would make sure that the image is expandable for the text before slicing) but it is one way you could slice up the image
sfm

S

Stroker1

This is how I would go about it. Personal styles vary, so keep that in mind.

First thing I would do is get rid of those horizontal lines in the background. Give them a big fat Gaussian Blur and sample a colour from that to be used in the background, maybe darken it a teeny tad.

Then I would chop up the borders into a bunch of pieces (see attachment - quick hack job). I would make sure all are the same size, probably 25x25. Also save a transparent GIF using the same dimensions. Use them to built a table that is extensible.

Use CSS for the headers and the borders on the top and left. The borders won't fade, but that's a small concelation.

The logo should prove no problem.

Only a handful of dependents and 'liquid'.
That's Stroker style.

AndrewF

"Also save a transparent GIF using the same dimensions. Use them to built a table that is extensible."

What do you mean excactly by "extensible"???

Cheers,

Andrew

S

Stroker1

In the context that I used it, in reference to building a table, it means using fixed and percentage values for widths and/or heights. This way, things won't go wrong for various UA sizes, monitor sizes, resolutions, and amount of content. The table will stretch-to-fit and not break.