What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

help with a tutorial

MrToM

Guru
Hi pslane,

Nice image...despite the problem.

You say you can see the large dolphin through the baby one, but could it be that you are seeing the baby dolphin through the larger one?

Without seeing how your layers are stacked its impossible to offer a solution.....I take it its not just a layer 'opacity' issue?

If you can show us your layers panel it would help determine if its the layer or the contents that has the 'transparency'.

Regards.
MrTom.

pslane

At this point, each image is merged psd, so no help there. I did create an ellipse in a different color and placed it above the dolphins...it was opaque. Moved it to the bottom and it was translucent like the dolphins. ??? Would that mean it's the background causing this?

The tut called for clipped mask on several layers and I'm not good at that so I confess I did leave it off few times, especially when it didn't seem to make a difference. I will keep trying.

Thanks,
pslane

pslane

Where there's a will there's a way. I know I screwed up the tutorial but I found a way to fix my dolphins. Since they were all tied into the background, I merged flat, extracted the dolphins and unmerged again. When the dolphins were extracted while merged with the background, they were opaque! So now it look right.

Thanks,
pslane

Attachments

• PS_8.jpg
    PS_8.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 19

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
You did not screw up the tutorial, this is one of the worst written tutorials I've seen in awhile. I don't think anyone, without a few years Ps knowledge, could get this tutorial right.

pslane

Thanks, it's good to know it wasn't all me. Having clipping masks didn't help, either. The mask effect didn't look like the one in the tut.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I reserved my comments on the clipping masks in my earlier comment. I'm a huge fan of clipping masks, but not how they're used in this tutorial. They are confusing and there are way better ways to accomplish the same effect. I would have had the PEN TOOL set to paths and simple selections with some being feathered. Since the BRUSH TOOL was used, there was no need to use shape layers that were clipped.