What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help with Magic Lasso/Lasso tool

crazysaguaro

Hello,

I am a Photoshop noob and am trying to learn things little by little, but something that's always eluded me is how to EASILY cut someone out from the background of a photo. I give up each time because either Photoshop cuts out too much background, or it is frustratingly difficult to exactly trace what I want to cut out.

Is there an easy way to do this? I've tried the magic lasso and the eraser tools but nothing seems to easily do what I want.

The file I am using to test cutting out is at http://www.ginab.net/images/test.psd and it's particularly hard (at least for me!) because my hair color is close to the bookshelf in the background. I'm trying to make some custom holiday cards and I'd really like to cut myself out to replace the background.

Please help! Any tips would be appreciated ...

-Gina

iDad

Guru
I did it for you how do I mail it to you? sent a pm with my address

crazysaguaro

Hi iDad - I will connect with you via PM, thank you!

Can you share with me how you did it? Do you use the magic lasso? At what settings?

Also, what do you use for an input device - a mouse or a pen?

-Gina

crazysaguaro

Additionally, do you use a special plug-in to help you? If so, which one is best for this type of cutting out & editing?

iDad

Guru
Hi iDad - I will connect with you via PM, thank you!

Can you share with me how you did it? Do you use the magic lasso? At what settings?

Also, what do you use for an input device - a mouse or a pen?

-Gina

I use a mouse, I will send your psd to you you can see from there,Each picture is so different but I used the polygonal lasso tool on yours selected inverse then feathered 3 or 4 pix,inverse again copy pasted,then when from there.

JLBerry

The selfish iDad again thinks about himself, instead of the whole community...sigh

iDad

Guru
Not selfish at all I helped the person requesting it, I told you my typing abilities bite get over it already, and stop being such an aZZZZZ, would you. You like to your way I like mine.

JLBerry

Not selfish at all I helped the person requesting it

You just WANT to keep the people dumb when it comes to Photoshop, admit it... because God forbid if your potential customers would know how to do it on their own. You're sad...

iDad

Guru
You have obviouly zeroed in on me for some reason. You act as though you are so much better than everyone. That's what's sad I have done more things for free than I can remember.franKly I'm getting tired of you insulting not only me but just about every one that doesn't meet your standards. Give it a rest please

iDad

Guru
To tell him his work is good and will be better is a bad thing? The guy was obviously proud of his .gif file.He was showing it off.Which in my opinion is a good sign of things to come from him. Your standards are fine but not everyone can reach them, your help is appreciated by many I'm sure.Your insults are getting many angry.... have it your way. If you need a bull's eye fire away, mr Bigshot
Eventually backfire could be very dangerous.

chefranden

I would use the pen tool for this because there are no important stray hairs, but you could also do it with it with the polygonal lasso tool by making many points and then smoothing it out with the refine edge dialog. I never use the magnetic lasso because it hardly ever gets what you want. In this case because of the lack of contrast between you and the bookcase you will get no help from the magnetic lasso tool at all.

Masking is often one of the most complex tasks and there is no real easy way to do it in photoshop. There are plug ins that help a lot if you can afford them. Mask Pro 4 is the best one I've seen, but I can't afford it.

It would be cheaper to take lessons on masking from Lynda.com