What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help with text - acting up and doing crazy things

nexgraphics

Hi, for some reason my photoshop text is acting up like crazy! When I type, after the first few words it JUMPS to the far right and puts the weirdest spacing in between all my words....I have never seen this before, it literally "jumps" left and right for no reason while Im typing and even when I delete the hugs space it puts it does it again. Then sometimes I put a few words and then after 2-3 words the curser jumps to the LEFT of all those words and types AGAIN in the wrong place, Its not "justify", I checked all tracking, kerning, I cannot see anything wrong@! Its driving me crazy - I even deleted all photoshop preferences and this didnt help as well?????

Thanks

Lee

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Make sure your 'language' is set to English: UK or English: USA.

Screen Shot 2015-12-27 at 6.21.08 PM copy.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
OK, what version of Ps are you running and where did you get it?

peta62

Guru
Hi, adding to the questions above, is it happening only in Photoshop and not in some other editor ? Is it the only weird thing Photoshop does ? Is it possible for you to reset all preferences or reinstall ?

nexgraphics

Hi everyone, yes its set to East Asian, its Photoshop CS6 and I got it through Adobe 2 years ago. I checked typing on MS word and Note[pad, no issues so yes its doing it only in Photoshop.
Would a video of what its doing help?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
There was a Type Tool bug that accompanied CS6 right after it's release but it was fixed a long time ago. What version of CS6 do you have? Mine is 13.0.6.

peta62

Guru
One more idea, if it would not be the bug IamSam writes about. Did you do some strange font installations ? Did it start immediately after you upgraded ( I also think about some virus ) ?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
A virus that only affects Photoshop's Type Tool? Probably not. But it could be a corrupt font though.

peta62

Guru
A virus that only affects Photoshop's Type Tool? Probably not. But it could be a corrupt font though.

Exactly - not probable. But in case everything else would be ruled out it is worth checking in my opinion. Right now I bet on your bug.

MrToM

Guru
Try this: ... ... Read the instructions carefully.
Interesting.

One thing that link didn't say is that in order to display the 'Middle Eastern Features' in the 'language Options' list you first need to select 'Middle Eastern' in the 'Type' preferences first and then restart PS for it to take effect.....otherwise you get 'East Asian Features' as an option instead....which doesn't include the LTR RTL option in the 'Paragraph' panel.

A minor detail but if the OP decides to adopt this route then they may need to know this.

As another minor point, I have difficulty with text here on the site sometimes....hitting 'Return' will jump the cursor to the previous line and all text entry is disabled. I don't think its a 'site' issue per-se and it does seems to clear itself after a short time.

With that in mind it may be some unrelated OS conflict with other software and not necessarily just a PS issue.

Just a thought.

Regards.
MrToM.

gedstar

Guru
Hi Lee

Found this

David (Official Rep) over 3 years ago
Howdy Gregg,

There was a known bug in Photoshop CS6 which caused corruption of text layers. The latest patcher, however, solves the problem. Unfortunately, once corrupted, a file needs to be reconstructed to ensure the corruption does not continue.

First follow this link and make sure your machine is "clean": https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/text-replaced-text-different-layer.html

Then, the solution posted by Florin might hopefully allow you to fairly quickly rebuild your document. Unfortunately, we have not tested that process internally, so we cannot guarantee it works.

Please keep in mind, however, that what we have verified is that normally once corrupted, all the type layers in a given document need to be completely rebuilt (NOT copied or drag-and-dropped) from scratch to ensure the problem does not return. Perhaps the use of type styles and resetting the type attributes obviates the need for complete reconstruction, but we only have empirical data along those lines.

Original Link here
http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/text_corruption_in_photoshop_cs6_file