What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Georgie2424

Hi. I have a psd which is just one layer - a picture of my company logowhich appears to have no background. It is textured and I need for it to be just one flat colour. I would usually do this by locking the layer so any marks I make only affect the contents of that layer. Although it doesn't appear to have a background (I can see the grey and white 'chessboard' behind), when I do lock the layer, the marks I make are not just confined to the area of the logo. It's as if it does have a background which, although it is see through, can still be drawn on. Does that even make sense? Can anyone help??? I'm on the clock here!

Georgie

Just lock the layer transparency...

lock_transparency_only_MT_01.png

You should then be able to ONLY edit the pixels on that layer.

Regards.
MrToM.

The image has had the white BG removed using the blend if option. Use another method to remove the BG and then make a selection of the graphic, fill.

The image does NOT have any transparency.

The layer is using 'Blend if' but there are no transparent pixels on the layer....hence why locking anything doesn't work...

blend_if_MT_01.png

You will have to either create a marquee for just the pixels you want to edit or remove the background first.

There are many many tutorials on YouTube about how to remove backgrounds....one of them should suit your needs and skill level.

Regards.
MrToM.

That's exactly what I was doing, but it wasn't working!

You need to move the Blend If slider back to the right and make a selection of the white and hit the delete key

Untitled.jpg

Use the Color Range method to select the white

Untitled.jpg

After hitting the Delete key

Untitled.jpg

Lock Transparent Pixels on

Untitled.jpg

Last edited:
Whichever way you decide to adopt just make sure that you delete ALL traces of the background.

Here I used the magic wand method and you can see that at a tolerance of 0 (zero) its still littered with odd pixels. Even at a tolerance of 40 there is still some cleaning up to do. If you do not have a completely clean BG then you'll have the same problems as before....you'll be able to paint on those pixels left behind.

BG_removal_MT_01.png

Regards.
MrToM.