What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi wanted to know how can save overlays?

Digiartist1

I wanted to know how can I save overlay like words one here and then let my friend use the same one.

Do I save it as PNG? I wanted to know how can I make overlays like these and reuse them on different pics in photoshop.
My example

Are these actions? I get confused because I'll see them labeled action on one site then overlay on another.

Easy. Save your overlays as .PNG file OR .PSD file. To share with others that don't have Photoshop, use .PNG. When saving as .PNG, only have the layers that make up the overlay visible so the background remains transparent. Cheers.

Hello and welcome to PSG.

Digiartist1 said:
Do I save it as PNG?
The answer to your first question can be found in the example video you provided. At 1:11 in the video you will notice that when she talks about the overlay files and goes to choose one, you can clearly see that all the overlay files are PNG. And yes, you can use them as many times as you wish and on as many different photos as you desire.
Screen Shot 2018-01-11 at 10.28.57 PM.png

Digiartist1 said:
I wanted to know how can I make overlays like these and reuse them on different pics in photoshop.
You would use the Type Tool, Custom Shape Tool, and many other tools in Photoshop.

Digiartist1 said:
Are these actions?
The overlays are still png files that the presenter has incorporated into a Photoshop action. A Photoshop action is a feature in Photoshop that lets users download or create a set of procedures/instructions that can be reused over and over to edit an image in a particular way. An action is created by manually performing a series of steps and recording them. They are then saved in an ATN file.

Hello and welcome to PSG.

The answer to your first question can be found in the example video you provided. At 1:11 in the video you will notice that when she talks about the overlay files and goes to choose one, you can clearly see that all the overlay files are PNG. And yes, you can use them as many times as you wish and on as many different photos as you desire.
View attachment 82660

You would use the Type Tool, Custom Shape Tool, and many other tools in Photoshop.

The overlays are still png files that the presenter has incorporated into a Photoshop action. A Photoshop action is a feature in Photoshop that lets users download or create a set of procedures/instructions that can be reused over and over to edit an image in a particular way. An action is created by manually performing a series of steps and recording them. They are then saved in an ATN file.
Thank you so much, does actions take forever to make?

Thank you so much, does actions take forever to make?
Not under normal circumstances. However, depending on the size and purpose of the action or actions associated with the edit, it might take some work in tweaking it.

The second video you posted can be confusing if your not aware of what she's talking about. She is using a folder filled with individual actions that are meant to make the process easier. Which it does, but everything she's doing can be done without the actions as long as you know how! Actions are bad for beginners because they usually do not learn or understand the technique or process that the action performs.

The bottom line is that the overlay is just a PNG file kept in a specific folder whether your using an action or not.

Back