What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How can I make her features a bit more visible?

Gerardo

Hi everyone. I should start by saying I'm not that good (total amateur) at taking pictures and editing them, but I try :silly:. I already know the image is of poor quality. The good news is that I'll print it 4 x 6 in, so it'll probably go unnoticed. I love Photoshop, even if there's a lot I don't know how to use. I specifically use it for editing my pictures a bit, so to make them look a little better. That's what I'm trying to do here.

In the photo bellow, the girl's features (eye, nose, and mouth) aren't that visible. I'm guessing that increasing the shadows on those three specific areas will make them easier to see. Am I right? If so, how can I do that?

Thank you in advance! I love to learn. That's why I'm asking how to do it, instead of having made a request on the corresponding subforum :).

San Luis 6d.jpg

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Do you have the original photo? This looks to be a low quality photo that has been enlarged.

You can see there's simply no information and it's very blurry even after I tried sharpening.
Screen Shot 2018-07-17 at 2.42.04 PM.png

Gerardo

Thank you for your reply @IamSam. I'm afraid the original picture isn't that much sharper than this one. It's the one bellow. I used a compact camera and I took the picture hastily. Also, I think I should stop taking pictures set at medium quality. I usually do that because they take less space from the memory card :oops:.

I'm suspecting the best thing that can be done is to paint on the image in order to enhance those features (eye, nose and mouth). Am I right? I'm not expecting a white eyeball with a pupil, since it isn't in the original image, but I suppose that making the shadow over the eye darker will enhance the feature a bit. What do you think?

San Luis 6.JPG

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I'm suspecting the best thing that can be done is to paint on the image in order to enhance those features (eye, nose and mouth). Am I right?
You could if you have some decent painting skills, if not, it could just be frustrating.

I suppose that making the shadow over the eye darker will enhance the feature a bit. What do you think?
Well I always say that you don't get anywhere unless you try. So give it a shot and see what the outcome is like.

My personal opinion is that you can work on enhacing some of the details, but I really don't know if you'll be satisfied with the results.

Gerardo

Thanks again @IamSam. You were right. I tried and it didn't go so good. I'm just not there yet :).

That's why I've made the request in the corresponding subforum. Hope someone will be able to help me a bit.