What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How can I make this shape effect

Ashraf Alshahawy

Hi all,

How can I make this effect on shape using Photoshop CS4 ?

As you can see in the image below there is a person shape with gradient in the background; What if I want to create another shape as clouds or sun, how can I do this ?

Note: I'm not talking about the whole image, just the person shape.

Folder-User-Folder-icon.png

Best Regards.

Hoogle

Guru
Ok I have made you this image
View attachment 4793
not sure if it is what you want exactly but it is a start load this up in photoshop as it is dont paste it onto a canvas open it up as its own document
and then go to Edit > define brush preset and it will come up with a box asking for you to name it and presto you now have a custom made paintbrush that whenever you click it you will get this man and you can also adjust the colour with 1 click lol and size like a normal brushy also opacity I hope this is what you wanted

Ashraf Alshahawy

Many thanks Hoogleman for this help,

but actually I want a different thing,
I need to know how to make a carved-in shape effect if I already have the shape ? as the person shape you see in my image, I want to make a carved-in clouds shape and carved-in football shape.

many thanks in advance.

Hoogle

Guru
View attachment 4794
this is how i got this effect if you play around with it you should get it as you desire
get your background and fill it with any colour or texture you want
create new layer use the brush or an image you like making sure there is no border on the image
thats why the brush is handy with the new layer selected right click it and select blending options
navigate to bevel and emboss section
settings i used
style= outer bevel
technique = smooth
depthe 100%
orientation = down
size = 10 pixels
soften = 0
default lighting and shading
all those settings will not be perfect for every image it is just a case of sliding the bars until your happy
lets hope I am right in what you want this time lol

Try using an inner drop shadow and select the carved out shapes pixels and on a new layer above it mess around using a large, soft-brush with white on one layer for highlights and black for shadows, then adjust the opacity and/or style of the layer

Mlio

Bevel and Emboss is merely to make it look three dimensional, but this can be done best with shadows.
Try the following:
Drop shadow: White, 75% opacity, 90degree, distance 1, spread/width: 0.
Inline shadow: Black, 75% opacity, 90degree, distance: 2, spread/width: 0.
Gradient: Black to black, 0% opacity to 30% opacity