What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How can I make this?

Will Sanders

Hey guys,

I'm working on my portfolio to get into the art program at my school and I want to use the reflective rectangular prism elements in these two album covers in one of my photographs. How can I make these? I know how to make/move/scale a rectangular prism with the 3D extrusion tool in Photoshop CC but that's about it. I mostly just want to know how to make the prisms mirror-like.

Thanks!

Hi Will and welcome to PSG!

I don't see any Prisms, just a lot of mirrors.

It's late and I don't have time right now to make a tutorial, but I will direct you to a thread that I answered that covered the making of mirrors. They are fairly simple to make as they only reflect their surroundings. Making these will involve copies of your original (the reflective ones turned around), a rectangle of course, and the Transform tools.

I will try and help you with a tutorial, but it will be late this evening before I can get to it.

Here is the thread I mentioned above....

http://www.photoshopgurus.com/forum/photoshop-newbies/46850-how-create-mirror-effect.html

Imagine the White Doves as being one reflective surface of the two/three you would find on any of the rectangles in your example above. You must work with one side of the rectangle at a time, which may include several different mirrors with said side facing the same direction as you see in your second example.

Good luck!

Hey mate =)

Have you tried simply cutting out different parts of the image and placing them in the location you want? This can create a pretty convincing effect especially if you take the time to select the perfect parts.

Original Image
11.jpg

Select part of the image from an area you are not using and copy it

22.jpg

paste it in, and repeat with a thinner strip

33.jpg

Line them up side by side, merge them into one layer, and then make a selection using the polygon lasso tool to get the desired perspective

44.jpg

cut the out and hide the excess layer

55.jpg

paste it back on to have your block

66.jpg

Make sure you pick better areas then me, also you can try flipping the images horizontally to see whatever looks best.

Just an Idea =)

Last edited:
Here is a video tutorial I made showing how to use clipping masks to accomplish this effect.

In hindsight, I would have made the two duplicate BG layers into smart objects.

As always Sam very helpful and informative, how many sides to two balls?

Thanks guys!

One other thing I wanted to mention, when you want to move a mirror/prism, just highlight all the layers used to make it and move as one unit, or you could group them together and just move the group. If, in the new position of the mirror/prism, the reflection needs to be changed then just move the individual reflections. Hope that made sense.

Back