What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do I do this operation?

gm44

Returning to photoshop after a long layoff. Admittedly, it's much more sophisticated than I can take advantage of, at least at this point. In any event, I have a picture of a person wearing sunglasses. The picture is good, but you can make out the eyes a bit through the lenses. For artistic effect, I'd like to blur the lenses so one can't make out the eyes. The lenses have a well defined edge, so I trust there's some way to backfill them (with a portion of an area one selects?) so the eyes are no longer visible. How do I do this? I've browsed around in the program, but haven't had much luck yet.

I now also realize I don't need to make the lenses solid at all, just need to make the lenses a bit darker in shading.

I can't [post the image] as I don't have their permission to post it on the net.

There are many different ways you might achieve your desired effect, depending on the specifics of your particular image. Just for instructional purposes, do you think it would preserve the person's privacy if you take the Lasso tool and cut out the sunglasses portion of your photo, like this?

sunglasses1.jpg

In the absence of knowing your particular situation, and assuming you have an image similar to this one, here is a simple, generic approach:
  • Use the Quick Selection tool to create a selection of both lenses. Sunglasses usually have a sharply-defined frame and the selection doesn't need to be perfect, so the Quick Selection tool will hopefully do the job.
  • With the selection active, create a Levels adjustment layer. Move the midtone slider (where the red arrow is pointing) toward the right to darken the lens. Something like this:
sunglasses2.jpg

If these steps don't work, then we will really need to see your actual photo to advise you further.

As usual, there is more than one way to accomplish effects in Ps.

If you have glasses that have reflections, you may want to preserve them.

Screen Shot 2022-06-27 at 10.27.53 AM.png

Make a selection of the lenses.
Screen Shot 2022-06-27 at 10.28.48 AM.png

Add a "Curves Adjustment layer".
Screen Shot 2022-06-27 at 10.40.03 AM.png

A layer mask will be added looking like this....
Screen Shot 2022-06-27 at 10.31.36 AM.png

Set the Curves Adjustment layers blending mode to multiply.......this will make the glasses slightly darker.

Now double click the curves adj layers thumbnail and adjust your curves to suit.
Screen Shot 2022-06-27 at 10.35.24 AM.png

Thank you for the excellent replies. I will study them and try recommendations. Lasso would work. Will sit down with photoshop later today.

Back