What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do I make this highlighting circle, box and arrows?

Belladonna

Hello. I'm putting together a paper that has technical pictures which need certain parts to be highlighted with circles, boxes and arrows. I originally used Microsoft Paint circle and box tools, which was very easy to use, but the shapes didn't have smooth sides, were too thin and it looked so amateurish.

I saw an ebook with some examples of what I want and they're good enough. What I like about them is they look smooth, thick and professional. I would like to replicate them in Photoshop. I've included a screenshot of the effects. Could you offer some help please, bear in mind I am an absolute newbie to photoshop. :)

Examples 04.png

1. Reactangle box
2. Smooth circle
3. Thick arrow
4. Curved line with arrow tip
5. Blur effect

Use any of the selection tools and then Edit-Stroke with the color and thickness you desire. Various arrows can be found under the shape tools.

Got the arrows working by selecting from the Shapes tool bar. Thank you.
How do I get that blur effect from example 5 across the page line?

Last edited:
When using the shape tool, look at the top tool bar options. Choose the Path option, make the shape then stroke it. Make sure set the brush size, color, opacity, hardness, etc. before you stroke the path.

Thank you! After much struggling with Visio, this is just better as its direct on the image.
Lastly can I ask if you know how I can get that gentle blur effect from example 5 which seems about an inch thick?

Thanks.. for the useful post. Its a important thred. I am facing some similar problem like these. But I get solve from here. So thank you for the article.

Back