What's new

How do I recreate this type of vector art?

Hi,

I’ve been trying to find some information on creating the style of illustration show in the pictures. Some people told me it’s just done by creating shapes but it looks a bit more detailed than that. I would appreciate any information that would help me figure this out.

D22A1384-DA32-469E-B0FF-56CEFFDCB370.jpeg

9548DF53-830A-42C2-96C1-5238A6DF1158.jpeg

77095907-F1EA-4CDC-BB79-965969F0A5C9.png

7E494068-8398-4E68-BB88-D66185E2AF85.jpeg

F0178857-9378-4672-980F-69B39C165461.jpeg

542F2265-C5CF-4CD3-A8EF-2CC2DC07C67D.jpeg

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
These TUTORIALS will offer the basics. In some of your examples, noise and/or brush tool stippling was used to give that vintage effect.

If you're looking for something more specific, let us know.

Thanks for the reply. I looked through a lot of those and they do have some useful information.They create vector images from regular ones but nothing about how to do this type of illustration. As I mentioned I was told theses were done using shapes but this looks more detailed than just using the shape tool.

sousou707

Thanks for the reply. I looked through a lot of those and they do have some useful information.They create vector images from regular ones but nothing about how to do this type of illustration. As I mentioned I was told theses were done using shapes but this looks more detailed than just using the shape tool.
I think they used Illustrator and maybe then imported in in Photoshop to give the effect IamSam was talking about. If I do vector art, I always use Illustrator and I play a lot with the pen tool and and use the shape tool sometimes. If you're a beginner, I would recommend this video
and then to better understand the magic of the pen tool and Illustrator :
. I learned how to use Illustrator a year ago, and it wasn't easy and it takes a long time to do a great job, but it's worth it.

I think I messed up as far as what I was referring to. My question was actually about how to draw characters like the ones shown.The question about style was more about drawing than effects.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
In my personal opinion, the examples you have offered above were created in Photoshop only and not in Illustrator. The confusion is with the term "vector". It's true that Illustrator is a vector program and Photoshop is rastor based. Photoshop's shape tools are considered to be vector that create vector containers with rastor content. This makes them scale-able without aliasing, but they are not true vector. They are certainly acceptable if scaling is a consideration.

I would recommend using Photoshop for these types of illustrations.............but they can certainly be done in Adobe Illustrator.