What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do we get this site back on line?

SCync

Power User
As Gare mentioned to me a week or two ago, this site has come to a grinding halt. A funeral home. Why, I muse? :{

Once one of the freshest and hot topic sites for PS, PSG seems to have taken a swan dive, whether it's a guy like Welles, or the contributions of ronmatt, and many, many others, let's get the boss back on track and keep this a totally sharp site.

Belive me, Mark, I've been swayed around over the last couple of years, in terms of direction, but you have a captive audience that you'd be short of your rep, to let your site flounder. But then again, if closing down is on your mind, just do it!! Point is if you y'all want a hand, well you got my e-mail..

I hear what you're saying and I share your concern SCync. However I also feel that this kind of thing happens from time to time with some sites. There is a natural ebb and flow to the traffic and while I agree it has been very quiet of late I think Photoshop Gurus is far from defunct.
I know I am not the only person to look through and practice the many great tutorials here regularly. Perhaps when I get back from my next little walkabout in a week or two I'll start a couple of threads to see if we can stir up a few of the lurkers to post ;)
You can see from the length of time I have been here that I don't tend to post that often myself.
Slainte
Tao

yes it is quiet ... in fact I am really surprised at how quiet it is (it didn't used to be .... it used to be my only PS source of info/output) ... 'nuf said .. namvet

I wonder if it was something we said :D
Good to see you're still here namvet.

\:/ I am involved in two other forums, both of which tend to vacillate. However I recall commenting on the absence of posts and replies here at PSG, a few months back. I expected an upswing in particiipation based on responses to that post....never happened. I attempted to start something with textures using ZBrush and PS. Except for Scync, that thread received no replies. So I ended it. Judging by the types of posts I've seen in the past few months and the replies, I'd say that many more advanced PS users who may be 'stopping in' to see what's here, may be just surfing on down the road. Now, it's not my forum, I didn't design it, nor do I moderate it, but if it were mine, I'd create some sections for the more serious user. I'd have some catagories like, 'using PS with Illustrator' 'with Flash and Swish'
'with In Design'. things that would interest people who made a living from working with these situations. Possibly allow the more experienced ps artist/technician, once qualified, larger attachment parimeters. Create challanges that are more than 'make a monkey out of a coconut challange.' You'd be amazed at how many people don't know that you can make an ad in PS and still maintain vector text. Or that print presses don't print in RGB inks. Does anyone here know how to use PS styles in Illustrator? Some people would like to know how that's done. But I think that those people are 'higher end' users. I'm not proposing eliminating the young people who's sole need for PS is to make 'sigs' ( whatever they really are ) But to include in this forum the more sophisticated' user

And what has happened to Mark and Moth?

Tao .. yes am still around ...

ronmatt .. I can only guess you're right about the 'high end' users ... all part of the evolving of the net, nothing stands still ... but there will always be newcommers to PS, young and old, who will need basic/intermediate help/advice/guidance .... but when I am wandering the net and I find a site that hasn't had a post in the forum for 7 days or the last tute is 4 months old or 12 month old threads are labelled 'new', I surf on by .. and I guess others do too :( ....
\:/ perhaps the Keeper is already working on a solution, perhaps he is busy .. but it will be a very sad day if this site folds, for so many others (by my observation) have in the past, used it as the 'yardstick' of what a successful site should be like ... 'nuff said .. namvet

I've been around, guys. Just not as much as I used to.

Life has thrown some curves at me and Mrs. Moth and my mind has not exactly been a happy, glowing place these past few months.

I haven't heard from Mark since January. I do know that he wanted to spend more time in the music business.

I am not sure if the forum faded because its users got more experienced or if it is simply because everyone has gotten more responsibilities/obligations. I'd love to see Mark hand over the forum to someone who had the time to run it, just as i would be happy to hand over my mod position to someone with the energy and time to do it justice.

Hey peoples! :D

I must apologize for my extreme absence. I HAVE been "looking in" from time-to-time. But have not been in the right frame of mind to partake in most threads; as i used to.

Guys ya know what? I think you've ALL hit the nail on the head here.
Moth said it best for me, about me getting back into my music business. But i've also just been extremely busy with work and the 3 new companies i half own. They're keeping me completely tied down time wise. But they really need the attention at this stage of their growth.
I've also been tech editing a couple Photoshop books on the side. That eats into my time at night also.

As for the site and forum's future...?
Well... in actuality i have very seriously been considering a closure i'm afraid. Though only because i myself can no longer aford the time to maintain the site/forums to the level i believe they should be kept. It's very hard though for me, as someone suggested, to just close up shop. This site has been my baby since 1996. But i honestly would rather NOT shut her down! I'd rather hand my baby off to a a responsible person, or group of peeps, who will give her the face lift and attention she so needs and deserves. My domain name expires at the end of the year, and my PowWeb account expires in November i believe. So the new 'owners' could simply just step in and take over, and save having to relocate and whatnot. But that would ultimately be left up to them.

Y'know... i've been doing this stuff for a very long time now. And i must admit, my heart's not as devoted to it anymore as it once was. That's not to say i don't still love and enjoy doing graphics and Website stuff, and that i don't still enjoy meeting and helping folks on the Forums... i do... but i do so yearn for my first love, my music; which i pretty much had to give up when my son was born (almost 3.5yrs ago). Now that he's more independant i have a little spare time to get back into the groove, so-to-speak. And i'm really looking forward to it.

As well... me and the family will be moving back to the Okanagan in a couple months. That's eating into my brain too due to the size/complexity of the move; physically and financially. It's just a lot to think about on top of everything else i've got going on at this time.

So... there it is then.
If anyone would like to discuss (seriously) about the future of the site/forum, feel free to contact me. I'm open to offers and suggestions.

My apologies again guys for being AWOL.

He's alive! He's alive! :p

I am so happy to hear from you. I think it's great that you have more than this site going on in your life. And I know how important music is to you. Being torn between two passions and raising a family is not easy. I was wondering why I got the change of e-mail address announcement.

So now that the cat has been let out of the bag... if anyone is interested in continuing the forum, please contact Mark. I'd like to state that I cannot do it. I don't have any idea how to run a web site and my time is so tight I can barely moderate the forum. However, I'd be happy to help out any of the extremely talented people here any way I can if one of you chooses to take the reins.

Wow, I saw this thread a couple days ago and started thinking of ways to "get this site back on line". So I actually started writing a tutorial for more advanced PS users. But, then I saw Mark's post.
That would be terrible for this site to shut down. I actually was thinking of taking on the site, but I haven't much experience with site/forum management. I'm sure I could learn, but I talked with my dad and he doesn't really want me spending my time on it. Besides, our school site needs revamping and I think he wants me to concentrate on that instead. I'm really sorry to see this site start to go down the drain. :{ I really do want to help out in anyway I can though.

Thanks for the thoughts guys.
As it stands atm, i'm hoping as much as the next guy that this story will have a happy ending.
Shall we cross our fingers... 8[

\:/ \:/ oh oh.... troubles in the camp ?

Perhaps we need to revive the Campfire thread it used to be fun...
i have been very busy working for another website a job i got thanks to all the things i've learned here.So come on members save this site !!!

Nikkie

Life is a journey, not a destination... An old adage to be sure, but so true.

Do what you love.

Best wishes to you and yours, Mark, along the voyage. B7
Thanks for everything you've done, the knowledge and fun times you've shared with all.

---Maya

Wow, I haven't heard from from you in a long time Maya! Long time no see. 8))
If this site is on it's way to shutting down and no one wants to take it on, then so be it. It's been a blast all you guys. I've learned so much hear and had a great time helping others.
Cheers! :}

I've glanced in from time to time and it struck me things had begun to go really quiet.
Not that I've had much to post recently; but I'll find some more bits and pieces for your comments.
Cheers!

I've been watching this thread, with great sadness ...

Raven .. yep, life's a journey .. so well said .. just wish there weren't sooo many mountains in my journey ... :rofl: :rofl:

Keeper ... have you made a decision yet?? ...

g'day nikkie .. my old (umm, young :) ..) fodering friend .. am soo pleased your talent has moved you on to better things :}

namvet said:
I've been watching this thread, with great sadness ...

Keeper ... have you made a decision yet?? ...
Yes, Ian. What i stated in my previous post IS my decision. On Nov 22nd/06, if no-one has stepped up to assume control of the ship, i have to shut 'er down. :{

An alternative to MY intension would be if someone had some server space somewhere and wanted to at the least, keep this site/forum online so the tutorials and such are still avaliable, that would be OK by me. A simple domain redirection would be in order to make that work without a 'reboot'.

It is sad indeed if this site gets shut down. It is one of the friendliest communities I have stumbled across, probably *the* friendliest. I wish I could do something, but other than participating, I can't do much :(

I do hope this site will have the opportunity to continue.

Cheers
MortenF

For what it's worth I think things began to go very quiet when Wendy left.

I agree concerning Wendys departure from the forum.

She was always so very helpful to everyone, as well as being very talented using photoshop.

Will really miss this site if it closes. Learned a lot here.

Back