What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How hard would this be for a beginner?

KingJacko

I am new here, and new to photoshop. I couldn't really find a sub-forum that is for quick questions.

I just want to know how much skill, and how difficult it would be to modify my cat for a hoodie. This includes:
-Taking out everything from the background
-Making his black hair black, white hair white. I mean I'm guessing there's just a paintbrush tool I could be careful with, but I say this because I don't want to be able to see individual hairs like the photo shows
-Outlining him
-Possibly adding a texture, his name is Apollo so I am thinking about putting a universe texture on him

Hi @KingJacko
I have a feeling I did not fully understand everything that you want to do with the picture of your cat.

-Taking out everything from the background
Separating a cat from its background needs intermediate skills to do a good job as I assume the fur would be moderately hard to select. A lot of factors need make the job easy or hard, like the quality of the photo, resolution, contrast with background, etc.
-Making his black hair black, white hair white. I mean I'm guessing there's just a paintbrush tool I could be careful with, but I say this because I don't want to be able to see individual hairs like the photo shows
Again, this calls for selecting all white hair and selecting all black hair separately. There are shortcuts to do it by using a general blur, but the output varies from picture to picture. To check if a blur will do the job of smoothing out all black and white furs, we would have to see the pic.
-Outlining him
Since selection has already been done in the first step, outlining him is easy.
-Possibly adding a texture, his name is Apollo so I am thinking about putting a universe texture on him
We would need to understand what you mean by 'Universe Texture', but if it is just a picture, it can easily be superimposed using blending modes.

To better answer your question, you would have to post a pic. Better the quality and contrast, the easier it is to work on the picture.

Hello and welcome.

In addition to the original photo, it could help if you posted an example image of how you would like your cat image to appear after editing. This would make it easier for us to provide you with guidance.

I have a bunch of photos and I haven't really chosen one yet. What would be the optimal background to separate a black and white cat from (like, grass)? I also can't really find a picture online of what I want my final image to look like.

I don't know exactly what it is called but you know that printing material that is smooth and is put on top of the clothing itself? I am planning to have that for the hoodie. The hoodie will be black and the material will just be the white parts and the outline which will be in white too (unless I decide on the universe texture).

Back