What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How tidy is your layers?

When working on a file with 10+ layers. How organized do you keep your layers with names, colored tabs, different named folders...

Makes me wonder if I died today and a new designer had to look at my files would I roll over in my grave?

On images with many layers I use groups and name them properly. It makes life much easier plus you can turn on/off groups with one click versus clicking multiple layers.

When I first started out I couldn't be bothered to rename and group the layers. Now that I'm doing more complicated effects and I have files with over 100 layers. There is no way I could keep them all straight without using groups and using fairly specific names for the layers.

It's funny, at first i couldn't be bothered with dealing with it. I insanely would deal with 50 layers and keep merging them when I thought they were done : )
I broke out of my bad habit and while i haven't color coded them I find Im using them even on the smaller files.

Thanks for your input!

on images with many layers i use groups and name them properly. It makes life much easier plus you can turn on/off groups with one click versus clicking multiple layers.

ditto..........

I have started using layer comps now on the very large images so it is not all loaded up at the same time and you get to focus on specific areas. But I am a big fan of grouping and linking as well

Back