What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to achieve a simple moon reflection

Hoogle

Guru
Ok I am working on this image that is of several photos I have manage to paint in a moon and the glow I like but I want to get the moon to highlite the water I have deliberately made it so you can see where I am referring to but what I want to achieve is still have the waters glossy reflective look but still have my moon reflection and highlites I hope you get what i mean and i have tried creating new layer and painting it in white adjusting opacity etc but still end up with a matt look
View attachment 5004

typical low resolution upload on here looks far more realistic than my psd lol

ps masking not quite finished yet but this shows how strong the flood plug in can be in work like this

just duplicate the moon layer, flip it, move it and distort it like you would with a shadow. maybe do some curves adj. to lose some detail. add a mask, for the mask use filter>render>clouds, squish it up a bit, add some contrast and it should come out looking like waves through the reflection.

heh, forgot to mention you should play with some blending modes like screen and overlay, might take some extra layers and a mix of some blending modes.

I tried very similar to that but I still got the matt look I wanted the glossy look as I have been playing with it more and more I have fallen in love with the Flamin Pear Flood plugin as you can see even though in the above image it is not fully in place and masked it really does add a dramatic effect to the picture but thanks for getting back to me I always struggle with achieving glossy effects maybe there is a plugin somewhere lol

Just had a go.

Attachments

• moon1.jpg
    moon1.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 10
whats that the stock pattern brush its a bit much but would be an awesome rain effct or is that just me seeing that lol

just a new layer with liquefy touches and then a new layer with the plastic wrap effect, it's a pity you can't adjust the size of the plastic wrap other wise it would have looked a lot better maybe?

you can apply it to a new layer and transform tool it then adjust the opacity etc here is what I have so far
View attachment 5009

I am working on the moon reflection now should it be skewed and warped a bit more

moon reflection is off to the left as i was too lazy to fix the painting on the water and it looks much different and flatter on the painted bit. also, there's a halo around the moon cause i just used the elliptical tool to grab the moon and didn't worry about the extra sky around it.

exactly as i planned out above including masking. 3 moon layers (listed bottom to top) screen @ 15%, overlay @ 100%, softlight @ 45%. adjust screen to get more or less reflection, overlay for shininess and softlight for contrast. i might also consider a 4th layer set for color...

moon.jpg

Back