What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to achieve this look?

chr_colstrup

Hi! I've been doing automotive photography for quite some time now, and i'm increasingly frustrated with the editing process. Long story short, I want to achieve this kind of look:

Kluge2.jpgKluge.jpg

They have this feel which i best can describe as "light". I'm looking to achieve the light look of the background, the warm feel of the image and still have it look as lifelike as these. The high contrast and saturation which almost makes the paint look "liquidy" is also one of the things i want to achieve. Everytime I end up with kind of "heavy" images - almost unrealistic looking if I play too much with contrast and saturation, and the paint seems much more flat in my images. I primarily use Camera RAW. Please help :)

Here's an NEF file of my own, if anyone wants to try it from scratch: https://www.dropbox.com/s/06xcn7ho0aes6rh/DSC_2988.NEF?dl=0 (just download the file, dropbox can't preview it)

Thanks a lot!

Christian

fredfish

Guru
I was a little confused by what you were asking for - you say you want the light look of the background and mention using contrast and saturation but in the examples they appear to me to still have a reasonable level of saturation.

I looked at your photo (lovely photo BTW) and have tried to reduce the saturation of the background while keeping the saturation of the car the same as it was (once the Background is desaturated you don't - IMHO - need to boost the saturation on the car). I think this is the sort of thing you are meaning but I am not sure that I am right!

All I did was use a hue/saturation layer and then used the filters mask to paint back in the origional colour of the car.

DSC_2988.jpg

Cheers

John