What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

how to add contour around image

Hornnumb2

I have this ps file that I would like to add a contour around so my vinyl cutter can cut out the decal...Any help of how to do this? Thanks Michael

Attachments

• BCA6 (Medium).jpg
    BCA6 (Medium).jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 13

Hornnumb2

I want to add a shape tightly around the outside of the image that I can tell my cutter to cut just the outline so it makes a solid one piece decal. Hope that might explain it. Michael

iDad

Guru
just use stroke at low pixel setting and a contrasting color

Hornnumb2

That works pretty good is there a way to just do a outline instead of it doing all interior parts too or somehow unselect the lines inside? Thanks

iDad

Guru
the lines inside? could you restate that

Sierraccr

Power User
In the blending options palette where add the stroke, there is a pull-down menu where you can stroke it inside, on top of, or outside the shape.

Paul

Former Member
Like this or around the inner images?

Sierraccr

Power User
Oh, wait.... I just read your question more clearly.

Hmmmmm...... The only way I can think of to make it stroke JUST the exterior lines is to fill the spaces inside with the same color as the background. That will fool Photoshop in to thinking it's all one big shape but the visual effect will be the same. Since you're cutting out decals, you could also simply draw an elipse around the whole thing so that there aren't any little bits sticking out to accidentally get torn off.

Hope that helps.

Stric9

Power User
Grab the pen tool and trace out the shape where you want your line to be.
10.JPG
Take not of the paths option
11.jpg
After you have finished tracing it out double click the work path in the pallet menu.
12.jpg
select the saved work path and press cntrl+t to transform the path. Holding Alt+shift, click the corner of the transform box and move the path out from the edge enough to not cut off some of the image. When done you will notice it will look like this but all the way around.
13.jpg
Now get the pencil tool that is under the paintbrush tool. Select a 5 pixel brush
Go back to the paths pallet and click the stroke with brush option.
14.jpg
If done properly you should end up with something like this.
15.jpg
Hope this helps and good luck.

hawkeye

Guru
Use a stroke layer style then separate it into it's own layer (Layer Style-Create Layer). Add a layer mask and remove the stroke as required.

Attachments

• ScreenShot003.jpg
    ScreenShot003.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 6

Hornnumb2

Grab the pen tool and trace out the shape where you want your line to be.
View attachment 7988
Take not of the paths option
View attachment 7989
After you have finished tracing it out double click the work path in the pallet menu.
View attachment 7990
select the saved work path and press cntrl+t to transform the path. Holding Alt+shift, click the corner of the transform box and move the path out from the edge enough to not cut off some of the image. When done you will notice it will look like this but all the way around.
View attachment 7992
Now get the pencil tool that is under the paintbrush tool. Select a 5 pixel brush
Go back to the paths pallet and click the stroke with brush option.
View attachment 7993
If done properly you should end up with something like this.
View attachment 7994
Hope this helps and good luck.

This is what I need, let me try..Thanks