What's new

Post Processing How to apply night mode effect on a photo

nipun

HI,
I want to create an effect similar to the night mode in our phones & pc.
so when it applied to the image ,it gives yellow kind of look but still color remains same.(not 100%)

So can anyone help me to get it by photoshop.
Thank you :)
here is the image that i want to add that effect.
20170917_114021050.jpg

Tony Bowman

There are different types of night mode. For me, it means a red overlay, but a google search reveals other options from a yellow overlay to just reducing screen brightness or contrast. Do you have an example of what you're aiming for?

Tony Bowman

I experimented with yellow overlays (as per your post - I didn't note that in my earlier reply) on midtones and highlights using luminosity masking. I tried wholly or partially desaturating and applying yellow overlays using 'overlay' or 'soft light' blend modes. But there's not much colour in the starting image to begin with, so whatever I did it looked yellow-ish all over.

Eggy

Retired Moderator
I assume you want to turn the picture into a night scene?
As in Photoshop there are several ways to do this

Add an adjustment layer 'color lookup'
Untitled-1.jpg

Choose the 'night from day' option
Untitled-2.jpg

to illiminate the red color add an hue/saturation adjustment layer and select the 'red' colors but first drag the hue/saturation adjustment layer on top of the image layer
Untitled-3.jpg

decrease the red saturation until desired
Untitled-4.jpg

if the image isn't dark enough as you would like select master on the same hue/saturation adjustment layer and drag the light slider to the left as desired
Untitled-5.jpg

for similar effect and/or different techniques: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=photoshop+night+mode+effect

Last edited: