What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to convert .tiff with transparency to .psd

spazzy

I have a bunch of .tiff files with transparency that I would like to convert to .psd and keep the transparency but when I open them in CS5, they have a black background. How can I convert them to .psd files and keep the transparency? Thanks.

open up photoshop create a new document but set the background layer to transparant sounds like you have it set to background or forground colour and then drag your image in and it should maintain the transparancy then go to save as and select psd if that works then if I was you put all your tiffs in 1 folder open up the actions panel and record those steps. then go to file> batch select your new action select the folder where all your images are and tell it to save the psds in a new folder or same folder if you like. Go make yourself a coffee by the time you get back it should all be done for you.

I don't know how to post an image here and they are too big (4 MB) but I'm assuming the transparency is showing up as black.

Hoogleman, what if tiff bigger than new maded document or very small. Not very efficient.

spazzy, press "Go advanced" there lower is "Manage Attachments". Through it you can post your tif and 4mb is small file.

P.S. I have transparent tifs and none of them opens filled with any color.

it will not matter as long as you make sure the document is larger so find your largest tiff image and go by that the rest is transparant nothing there so wont be any bigger in file size and you can always crop it when you want that file used. or you could just do the easy option
Online convert TIFF, JPG, EPS, PCX, PDF, PNG, PSD, SVG, TGA etc upload all your files from 1 folder and once it is done redownload all of them and the site supports tiff to psd. or check this site out TIFF to PSD | How to Convert TIFF to PSD Free

I don't know how to post an image here and they are too big (4 MB) but I'm assuming the transparency is showing up as black.
I believe the limit is 20MB, so you can upload it.
Start a new post and click on "Go Advanced" next to "Post Quick Reply"
Scroll down a bit and click on "Manage Attachments".

Good idea. Make really big document but before saving as psd use Trim (Edit/Trim...) based on Transparent pixels. And that will remove all unnecesary transparent space around pasted image.

I believe the limit is 20MB, so you can upload it.
Start a new post and click on "Go Advanced" next to "Post Quick Reply"
Scroll down a bit and click on "Manage Attachments".

Steve, is there step by step turorial (for absolute newbies with screenshots) how to upload image/files in forum?

It isn't. It wasn't for me. At least not for first time. I'll try to make one.

It won't let me upload one of the images, keeps saying invalid file. The files are .tif not .tiff, my mistake about that. I wonder if I got a bad batch of files? Thank you to everyone who has replied with suggestions.

well if you cant go out of your way to give us 1 of your images how do you expect us to help you. So the uploader here wont let you upload your images there are all sorts of image hosting sites tinyurl.com imageshck.com or if they wont accept it then upload it to mediashare.com and then post a link in your next post so we can download the file as it is so media share will be your best bet. I think we have tried but not being able to play around with it ourselves it is hard for us to just guess.

All I wanted was a step by step instruction on how to save a tiff with transparency as a psd with transparency. That's all. There's no need to upload an image and I don't know anything about those sites anyway.

the problem is tif is a universal cross platform document the only program I know that uses it as a popular file type is Aperature And with the tif file I did find I had no problem with it opened up transparant background, saved as png and it kept the transparant background, saved as psd and it kept it and then saved it as a tif again and opened it up again to make sure it kept the transparant background and it did. here is a short video clip showing you as I did it so there must be an error with your files hence we can not help you without a file that has the error. I apologise about the flickering of the 2 programs but screen cap software uses a lot of RAM and I am currently rendering a huge 3d project and could not risk it crashing because of my screen cap software so kept checking. The problem must be at your end or your files Here is the video clip showing I had no problem opening up a tif file, or saving 1

All I wanted was a step by step instruction on how to save a tiff with transparency as a psd with transparency. That's all. There's no need to upload an image and I don't know anything about those sites anyway.

We've spent most of the time on this thread trying to get you to upload a problem file so we can see if we can duplicate the problem with your file.
Lacking that file and in response to you original question:

spazzy said:
I have a bunch of .tiff files with transparency that I would like to convert to .psd and keep the transparency but when I open them in CS5, they have a black background. How can I convert them to .psd files and keep the transparency? Thanks.

The answer is open your TIF and Save As Filename.PSD.

That works for everyone here ................................... but you.

Back