What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to Create a consistent Gradient w/ Soft Edge & Filter

NinjaSk8terr

Hello, Im using photoshop 6, and Im trying to apply an effect for a banner photo, that will be consistent for other banner photos of the same size.

I've attached a photo of this.

As you can see the gradient (which contains the text) starts with a grey color then transitions to white. The right edge that meets the blue sky isnt a hard edge but rather a soft edge.

Im not sure how to create that soft edge. I used a brush in this case, and as you can see, the line is uneven.

Also I believe the Filter used here is Ripple or Ocean Ripple.

I was hoping if someone could walk me through what the correct steps would be to create that effect, so that I can use this consistently for several photos.

Attachments

• FaqHeader2.png
    FaqHeader2.png
    342.5 KB · Views: 0
Hi NinjaSk8terr welcome to the forums

To tell you the truth i'm not really familiar whit that version of Photoshop, i'm using CS5,
but i think the gradients editor window looks similar to this.
00_gradients_slider.png

if is that the case, when you are choosing the gradient type you should see 2 sets of control points 1 set on top of the gradient type slider and another on the bottom.

the set on top, controls the opacity of the gradient at the beginning and at the end of the gradient "you can add more controls if you want just click and drag one of them either way left or right"

And the second set on the bottom controls the color shades of the gradient.

We are interested on the set on top to create a fading away effect, as soon as you click on one of the control points on top it will activate the opacity percentage box "cell"

And there is where you choose the percentage of opacity of the gradient.

also included a link to may help.
Working with Gradients in Photoshop 6 | Photoshop Basics

NinjaSk8terr

Hi Maximus, Thank you for the fast reply.

Creating the Gradient wasnt a problem. I did this from the grey color to the white color.

The difficulty is creating that right edge that meets the sky. It has a soft "cloud" look. This I couldnt figure out how to create with the Gradient.

admin

Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
You could make it go from white to gray to transparent, and stretch the transparent out a bit over the clouds. That would soften the gray edge considerably.

Steve

Retired Administrator
Sample the color on the background layer at left hand edge of the house layer.
Use the gradient tool set to Foreground to Transparent (Top row 2nd from the left).

Hold down the shift key and drag from the left edge of the house layer to the right, just a little bit.
You'll need to experiment to get the look you're after.

I'm assuming this is the same in your version as in CS3 and CS5

suruha

Have you tried feathering the right side of your gradient? Experiment with the size of the feathering and see. Maybe.

TerryC

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Friend
Hmmm, have you figured this out yet? Because I would use the Blur Tool blur the two images together. Makes you you say, Hmmmmmm.