What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to create an outline with color via shape tool (CS3)

Aesthete18

I'd like to create a circle with the shape tool but just color the outline, no color within the circle. I tried to do stroke after I made the shape but it says nothing to stroke. Can someone tell me how? I'm using CS3.

MrToM

Guru
You'll need to use 'Styles' in CS3.

You can set up and save a 'Style' beforehand or apply the 'Stroke' effect directly.

Whatever Style is currently selected in the tool bar at the top of the workspace will be applied when you create the shape but you can easily edit this style or just delete it from the Layers Panel.

If you delete it you can then add any 'fx' you like...including 'Stroke'.
Set 'Stroke' to outside if you want to keep the 'Shape' clean.

CS3_Styles_MT_01.jpg

Regards.
MrToM.

Last edited:

Aesthete18

Yes that is helpful but I have one problem. The color within the circle is being filled even when I changed it to white like yours. I don't see any transparency option.

MrToM

Guru
1. Create circle 'Shape'.
2. Set 'Fill' to 0 (zero).
3. Use 'fx' to add a 'Stroke'.

My example uses a 'Style' which I had previously set up and saved...its 'Fill' was zero and had a stroke of 1px.

For the example shown I edited the 'Stroke' to around 40px for clarity.

Regards.
MrToM.

Aesthete18

I think I've almost got it. The fill at zero works great. You mentioned I can delete the black outline and put stroke on it. How do I do that? When I delete it off the panel everything goes. Also, is there any way to make the circle not so jagged? I apologize for my complete noobiness.

MrToM

Guru
No worries...

The 'outline' IS the stroke.....its how CS3 applies it.

In later versions of PS 'Shapes' have the option of a 'Fill' and a 'Stroke' but in CS3 there is only the option for 'Fill'.....and you cannot turn it off.

Using 'Styles' means you can add ANY 'fx' you want to the shape....and to remove the 'Fill' you set it to zero in the Layers panel.

That's all there is to it. :thumbsup:

I don't understand what you mean by 'jagged'......why do you think it is?

Remember these points....
1. PS is a PIXEL based image editor....meaning it comprises of a grid of squares....or pixels.
2. ANY image viewed at a zoom level greater than 100% will LOOK, NOTE...LOOK 'jagged' because its made up of squares.
3. If it still LOOKS 'jagged' at 100% zoom and is anti-aliased then there is nothing you can do except to transform it larger.

For Eg:
A 'Circle' made from 1px can be nothing but square......pixels are square.
A 'Circle' of 1px radius means its made from 4px.....but again, the only arrangement for 4px is in a square.
A 'Circle' of 2px radius means its made from 16px....the corners can be removed to give a more 'circular' appearance...
A 'Circle' of 5px will appear more 'circular' purely because there are more pixels available to make it.
A 'Circle' of 1000px will appear much smoother but viewed at more than 100% will also LOOK jagged.....its still made of square pixels in a grid.

In short, viewed at 100% the more pixels that make up a circle the smoother it will LOOK.

Below is how PS interprets 'Circles' into pixels.....the orange is actual (!00%) size, the black enlarged to show how the pixels are arranged.

There is NO anti-aliasing but if there were it would create the illusion of even smoother circles.

pixels_MT_01.png

Regards.
MrToM.

Last edited:

Aesthete18

I see. The original outline created by the shape tool seems to clash with the stroke in fx. Is there no way to remove the selection(?) and keep the stroke? Like my stroke is red but the selection is black so it appears like two outlines over each other rather than a red circle (I hope that's clear).

As for the jagged part, I've had this problem before and just recalled that it comes out smoother when I output it into jpg. Still, good to know it's suppose to be like that so I don't have to post another thread later on.

MrToM

Guru
The 'Shape' has to have an 'outline' otherwise how would know where the shape was?

Its 'outline' is its 'path'.....and its editable......without it you wouldn't know where it was.

I don't see why you are worried about it....its NOT renderable and will not show in your final image.
If you DESELECT the layer its on you'll find it will disappear.

It should re-appear when you select it from the 'Paths' panel.....so you can see it...and edit it if you want to.

I remember having the 'jagged' conversation before but hopefully now it has sunk in and you understand whats happening.

Regards.
MrToM.

Last edited:

Aesthete18

Ok I'm sorry I didn't mean to agitate you. This is my second time using shapes so I didn't know the path will not appear on the rendered image.

As for the pixels, I only recalled after posting that it translated well into image. Anyway, thanks for the help.

MrToM

Guru
...Ok I'm sorry I didn't mean to agitate you...
Don't be silly....you didn't agitate me at all.....just trying to explain it in simple terms so that you can understand it.

'Shapes' can be very difficult to learn and so I'm trying not to overwhelm you with information you do not require....at this point.

Some things just need explaining in 'Black and White' without any unnecessary 'fluffy' bits added.
That would only confuse you more.

If you are still unsure about anything then by all means continue to ask questions....my bark is worse than my bite....honest.

Regards.
MrToM.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Command/Control + H will hide the path.