What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to create "arcs"?

Jerl95

Hi!
I am new to Photoshopping, and I use Photoshop CC at school. I am not artist, so please keep answers simple :)

Below is the "arc" colored red that I'd like to create. I don't want to draw it manually because there should be tools to make it for me, also I want it to be outlined only, so no fill :) I think that circle/ellipse tool could help?
Also, if I want to put text inside the arc, will it automatically curve?

arc.png

gedstar

Guru
Hi Jerl95

Alas there is no tools to do something like this automatically, what I done to create this was use the Ellipse Tool to make the top arc, first I created a full Ellipse with no fill and a stroke of 10px in black
Then I rasterized this layer and made a selection with the Rectangle Marquee Tool around the bottom of the Ellipse and pressed Ctrl + backspace and filled the selection with white
Then I made a copy of that layer and moved it down with the Move Tool and hit Ctrl T to enter Free Transform mode and re-sized that layer with the Ctrl handles
To make the side line I just used the Line Tool to create the line with the same stoke, copied this layer again and used the Move and Free Transform Tools to move them into the correct place and re-size them.
Here's a tutorial that will explain how I created the arc text
http://www.photoshoptutorials.ws/photoshop-tutorials/basics/quick-tip-correct-create-curved-text/

Untitled-3.jpg

Last edited:

BaluM

Great one gedstar. I should say everyday am leaning new from this great forum. gedstar can you make a detailed tutorial of it with screenshots .Just like other gurus do it in here? It will help us a lot especially newbies like me. Thank you.Once again a great one mate.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Set up some center guidelines.
Select your Ellipse (Shape) Tool. Set to shape.
Set your fill color to any color. It will not matter since this will be totally editable in the end.
Turn off the stroke for now, we will add that back later.
Create the ellipse using the center of the guidelines as the starting point.
Screen Shot 2016-02-04 at 11.58.57 PM.png

Still working with the same layer (ellipse), set the Path Operations to subtract front shape.
Screen Shot 2016-02-04 at 11.59.08 PM.png

Create the second and smaller ellipse using the center of the guidelines as the starting point.
This will remove the center of the ellipse.
Screen Shot 2016-02-04 at 11.59.30 PM.png

Bring in more guidelines on the left, the right, and the top of the outermost ellipse.
Screen Shot 2016-02-05 at 12.05.44 AM.png

Now select your Pen Tool.
Set the Pen Too to PATH.
Set the Pen Tools path operations to Intersect shape areas.
Screen Shot 2016-02-05 at 12.05.59 AM.png

Starting from the center, use the Pen Tool to create a path like the one below.
Don't worry when the fill color disappears, it will come back when you close the path.
Screen Shot 2016-02-05 at 12.06.24 AM.png

Once you hide the paths and the guidelines using Cmd/Cntrl + H, this is what you will have.
Screen Shot 2016-02-05 at 12.07.28 AM.png
Now select the Ellipse Tool once again, using the options located in the tools options bar,
you can add a stroke of any color or size, change the color fill, or turn the fill completely off.
It can also be resized.
Screen Shot 2016-02-05 at 12.09.16 AM.png

BaluM

This awesome thank you IamSam really appreciated .Ever grateful to you .Great forum for learners like me .

BaluM

ok this is my effort.I have a question for you IamSam how to add text like the curve?I know its bad habit to use the wrapped text too as pro say. Then whats the alternative ??

iam.png

I can easily wrap the text using Wrap text tool.But pros and gurus always say not to sue that method. Then whats the alternative method??

iam.jpg

Attachments

• iam.png
    iam.png
    16.7 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
ok this is my effort.I have a question for you IamSam how to add text like the curve?I know its bad habit to use the wrapped text too as pro say. Then whats the alternative ??

View attachment 61854

I can easily wrap the text using Wrap text tool.But pros and gurus always say not to sue that method. Then whats the alternative method??

View attachment 61853

There will be those against and in favor of using the Warp text. It all boils down to what you choose based on which known methods give you the results you want....

Another alternative is to double click the shape layer icon to select the shape, convert it to a path, and use the text tool to apply the text on the upper curve of the arc. This procedure might come in handy most especially if you want text anywhere in the arc shape - in , out or around....

hawkeye

Guru
Guides are great but if it can be done without them, so much the better IMO.

1-On a new layer create a circle and fill it. Leave it selected.

2-Select-Transform Selection. Hold Shift + Alt and scale the selection inward.

3-Delete the inside selected area.

4-Use the shape tool to draw a triangle in the size and approx. position needed.

5-Align the shape layer and the circle layer horizontal centers.

6-Make a selection of the shape. Select the circle layer, Ctrl+J to cut and paste.

Attachments

• Untitled20160206112219.jpg
    Untitled20160206112219.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 18
  • Untitled20160206112644.jpg
    Untitled20160206112644.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 18

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Thanks Hawkeye. I have used this technique as well, but it does not leave 90 degree ends on the arc.

BaluM

dv8_fx great tip.Yes i tested it with the Direct & path selection tools .Awesome tip indeed.Thanks a ton mate !!!

Last edited:

BaluM

here it is. Played with some layer styles as well :D Thank you all for this.

dvx.png