What's new

How to create brush painted circles

Daf57

Would appreciate some suggestions on creating the effect of a circle painted on a surface with a wide paint brush - brush strokes and all. The over all goal is to have what will look like a hand painted target (3 circles) on concrete. I have downloaded some dry brush type brushes but they are straight strokes and don't like to bend into a circle much. ;) I was thinking that following a path might be a good idea but wasn't able to get it done stroking the path with the brushes I have.

Any ideas would be great and much appreciated! :)

Thanks!
Daf

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello Daf57 and welcome to PSG.

This is actually a very challenging effect that I have tried on many occasions to accomplish. Getting a realistic looking, "painted on" brush stroke on concrete, brick, or wood, is virtually impossible. Most commonly done with Ps is the graffiti spray painted on style like this:

Screen Shot 2014-09-14 at 3.21.43 PM.png

I'm still searching for a convincing way to add in the brush strokes.

Daf57

Uh oh! Well I guess I got my work cut out for me then! :eek: Thank you so much for the reply, I do appreciate it! :)

Daf57

Hi again! I was able, with the help of Photoshop's capable sister Illustrator, to create a workable effect. By creating the circle paths and then stroking with some free paint brushes I found on the colorburned site (sorry forum won't let me post a link). Below is a quick version - it will require some layering and tweaks in PS but should do the trick.Hope this helps someone that may have the same question. :) Thanks again!

target.jpg

Daf

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Fantastic!

I'm sorry, I totally misunderstood your request. I was thinking of something totally different! Glad it worked out for you!