What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to create Strip Lighting effect in photoshop?

How to create Stripes Lighting effect in photoshop?

Hi all
I was wondering if anyone knows how to create something similar to Stripes Light Soft-box lighting in photography with photoshop?
the way stripes curve on model face and body is a great challenge to create in photoshop.
I attached some samples to show you what I mean.Please give me some tips.

25eca23a1955856e65fb49cc9ecc5e36.jpg 100dbf4ea801077dd8b0ee8fc6e20948.jpg 63a78a512d0b01c6634eb5a8b05ce13b.jpg

Last edited:
Re: How to create Stripes Lighting effect in photoshop?

Thank you Paul I try it to see if I it will work for me :)

Last edited:

Tom Mann

Guru
FWIW, the stripes (note, not "strips") in your example is not called strip lighting, and it is most certainly not from a studio light called a "strip light". This is what a strip light looks like. Strip lights do not project patterns on light like this on a surface.

Unfortunately, unless you want to do a lot of work and have a good eye, it is difficult to get an effect like this "just right" using only Photoshop or any other 2D image editing program because doing so requires a true displacement map, and that requires knowing the true 3D coordinates of each point on the surface, which you obviously can't get from a single photo.

Also, note that this effect is absolutely NOT the type of displacement map discussed in the article that Paul cited because in that technique, only the brightness, not the true depth was used to give a fake feeling of displacement. This effect is also not a bump map, which is primarily for texture. For the differences between them, see this article: http://blog.digitaltutors.com/bump-normal-and-displacement-maps/ .

The most straightforward way to get this effect is in real world - just make up an image of equally spaced black and white bars, send it to an LCD projector (or old fashioned slide projector), and aim the projector at the subject. Press the shutter release, and you are done, and the results will be vastly more accurate and believable than anything you can get from PS in any reasonable amount of time. Move the projector around relative to the subject, and you can get entirely different patterns.

In addition to its artistic value, this technique is often used in industrial imaging applications where one needs to know the 3D shape of an object, not just a 2D picture. For example, using fringes from a laser instead of a project pattern from a slide projector, and one can detect tiny variations in surface depth. Here's an intro to the technique: http://www.cs.cf.ac.uk/Dave/Vision_lecture/node12.html

HTH,

Tom M

Tom Mann

Guru
PS - Yup, for illumination, a slatted roof will work, so will an appropriate gobo placed in a Fresnel stage light, so will projected Moire patterns, and many other sources of light, some of which were mentioned in the article on stereo imaging that I cited, but these days, if you've got the equipment and are interested on objects of about this size, nothing beats the flexibility and convenience of a good LCD projector for a studio shot.

Re: How to create Stripes Lighting effect in photoshop?

Thank you guys for your help I really appreciate it.

Sorry for the spelling error I didn't notice that and thanks to Tom for h is full explanations.I tried a lot of ways in Photoshop and didn't come up with a good result so I gave up and used photography equipment.

Last edited:
sorry for the late reply I didnt check my account I dont know if I still have the file because it was awful but I search and see if its on my hard drive to show it to you Paul :)