What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to crop to a set proportion and not shrink the image... HELP!!!!

shottybot

Okay, so I have been searching for this for days now and am totally stuck (and I'm pretty adept at computer usage and searching, for reference, I'm 25, a decent gamer, recently graduated from school with a degree in Architecture, and built my own pc so I have some decent knowledge about this..). It could be that I am using the wrong terms to search or it could just be that there isn't an answer out there.

I am currently putting together a book of my thesis and need to re-crop many of the images that I've used and taken. The problem is that I would like to crop the images to a set proportion of the golden ratio, golden mean, divine whatever- all the same thing, basically a ratio of 1:1.618 (roughly).

I used to do this with no issue (I think) a few photoshop versions back (maybe back towards CS2 or something, but as things have drastically changed (now running CS5.5) I am a little stuck. Whenever I select the crop tool, I try and input a fixed width and height of 1.618:1 or vice-versa depending on the image orientation- and leave the resolution blank. A long time ago, I seem to remember cropping the image with the tool and it was a fixed ratio as it is now, only before, the image did not drop from say 11x14 to 1x1.618 and blow up in resolution size. It maintained the image size and resolution and cut the excess off the smaller length generally.

I am NOT looking for that rule of thirds crop but a simple means to crop many images at one ratio. I know there is that script called the golden proportion or something however that does not crop to the right ratio that I am looking for. It mimics the existing photo's ratio which often times is off. The other reason I wanted to go through a certain proportion ratio as I did before is many of my images are of different base sizes and so I don't want to manually calculate this out dozens of times.

Does anyone know a simple (non-photo-destructive) solution to crop an image of any size to the 1:1.618 ratio, and maintain the resolution etc? By non photo-destructive I mean to not do the crop as I have been doing, then manually going into the image size and rescaling the image through shrinking the new resolution and then re-scaling the image...

Thanks!

Okay, so I just remembered one way this is possible- is to use the marquee tool to create a box of the fixed ratio and crop that way, which I think I found once a few months back on a website, however I'm in the dark as to a way to do it so that I can see a moveable shaded region which will be cut when I use it this way (similar to how when you use the crop tool, a shaded region appears of what will be cut). This might be easier to solve than the above question I had. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

I added a post thats not what you was asking for, my bad.

Last edited:
Intresting thing. Quickest way for me would be crop with that 1:1,618 (cm) and leave blank resolution. Than will change resolution as you say blow up a lot. Thats total okey.
1. Make all your golden crops.
2. Put them all in one folder.
3. Record Action which change Image Size that way:
imagesize.jpg
set resolution to your origin (assuming all images had same resolution). 72ppi or 300ppi.
That will restore origin resolution and set correct dimension (however for me at 10cm it gaved 9,98 cm so little error but i think you can live with that).
4. Make batch to your croped folder with that action.

All your images should be now golden crop and "human" dimension.

Back