What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to get a better quality image out of a bad one

Hey all...I've been asked to do kooizes for the outgoing pageant court again, but what they want, I am not skilled enough to produce. Can anyone tell me how to recreate or get a better higher res image of these peppers? There are 5 of them, and the image they gave me which came from the shop that made the magnets for the float sent that, and said that's the best one they have. :banghead:

Also, what is the easiest way once that part of it is done, to have the names of each child have a lower arc to the shape of the bottom of the pepper? That is how the magnet is, but not in the image they sent me. I am trying to see if they have the final image they used, but not having much luck with them!

Any help or ideas is most greatly appreciated!

cz.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First, what do you not like about the blur you added?

I think that you have the areas around the heads & crowns too sharp.

In answer to your question, I prefer to use a smart object, smart filters and their layer mask. More on that in a second.

You can also duplicate the original.
Add a Gaussian Blur to the duplicate.
Add a layer mask to the duplicated layer.
Use your Brush Tool set to black, a soft brush and with a lowered flow (1%) to reveal the underlying layer (sharpen the area brushed).
You would use white to conceal the underlying layer if you go too far.

Screen Shot 2015-09-16 at 11.13.11 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-09-16 at 11.26.13 PM.png

My preferred method is explained here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-AeRnem9mc

Last edited:
First, what do you not like about the blur you added?

I think that you have the areas around the heads & crowns too sharp.

In answer to your question, I prefer to use a smart object, smart filters and their layer mask. More on that in a second.

You can also duplicate the original.
Add a Gaussian Blur to the duplicate.
Add a layer mask to the duplicated layer.
Use your Brush Tool set to black, a soft brush and with a lowered flow (1%) to reveal the underlying layer (sharpen the area brushed).
You would use white to conceal the underlying layer if you go too far.

View attachment 58587

View attachment 58589

My preferred method is explained here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-AeRnem9mc

Sorry, I haven't been home in a few days, thanks a lot! Will get a chance to watch the videos and look at the guides today finally!