What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

how to get out the red eyes?

faslav11

hey designers or experienced gurus,

how can i get rid of red eyes in fast, simple and easy way in Photoshop? i am aware that red eyes are the most common problems and i was wondering how to avoid using flash?

hope you guys had a great holiday. :)

polarbear_ed

Quick solution:

Duplicate the layer and in the duplicate layer drag down the red completely.
Place the layer underneath the full colour layer, and use the eraser tool to erase through the red eyes by dabbing them (put the eraser on a low hardness and adjust the size to slightly larger than the pupils)

Alternatively make the layer black and white instead of dragging down the red. It doesn't look as good but it's OK.

Hoogle

Guru
or you can use the red eye removal tool found under the spot healing tool you just drag a box over the red eye and it fixes automatically.

There are many other ways of achieving far superior results but not so quick and easy to explain. honestly though I tend to find microsofts picture viewer red eye removal better than the 1 built in photoshop.

you could try drawing a circular selection using the marquee tool around the red eye go to image > adjustment >hue saturation and select the red channel only and adjust the slider to give you whatever eye colour you want
Capture.PNG

or you can use the red eye removal tool found under the spot healing tool you just drag a box over the red eye and it fixes automatically.

There are many other ways of achieving far superior results but not so quick and easy to explain. honestly though I tend to find microsofts picture viewer red eye removal better than the 1 built in photoshop.
View attachment 11901

I've found the same thing - red eye removal tool sometimes give some weird results. Don't know why.

Did they go cheap on that tool, or what? I will use it in a pinch, but if I want good results, I paint new pupils on a new layer and blend.

Agent

Hoogle

Guru
hue saturation on just a selection of red eye on the red channel works well but for close up you have no texture so I use an eye brush lol.

polarbear_ed

you could try drawing a circular selection using the marquee tool around the red eye go to image > adjustment >hue saturation and select the red channel only and adjust the slider to give you whatever eye colour you want
View attachment 11901

Whoops. I didn't see that.

Although worst comes to worst the built-in red-eye remover works well. I know personally I just use the one built into iPhoto (Mac) and I'm sure as Hoogle says the Picture Viewer red eye remover is just as good.