What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to make lettering like toothpaste Aquafresh?

raindance

Hi
I've got a client who is asking for something I can't figure out how to do. She wants me to create lettering for her logo where the lettering is made of stripes. Not like masking, but imagine that toothpaste aquafresh where you squeeze it out and it's striped. So for example, we need to do an S in a circle and she wants the S to look like it's made of stripes, as if you squeezed toothpaste out of a toothpaste tube which was striped in the shape of a letter S.

Any ideas?

Thanks so much in advance!

Use a path and stroke it with the proper brush, one you probably have to make first.

Make sure when you make the brush to select "shape dynamics" and to select under "angle jutter" in the pull down menu labelled "control" the option "direction" or the brush tip won't turn if you make a curve.

Im not actually even sure how to get the text to be a path.
I used Arial and put an S on the canvas.
I right clicked on the text layer in the layer palette and chose Rasterize Type. This gave me the option to stroke it (tried Create Work Path and Convert to Shape but these did not give me the stroke option).
But after Rasterizing Type, the S is strokable, but I only see how to change the pixel width of the stroke and the color of the stroke. I don't know how to stroke it with a brush?
I've also never made a brush before.
Sorry...sounds like the way to do it but I'm not familiar with those steps...
Thanks so much if you have time to give me the steps!

Actually I know a much better way, but damn... takes such a long time to explain, let me see if I can upload a video to youtube that shows how to do it.

I opened my stripes image, a small image. I did edit -> define brush.
Then i went to the paintbrush tool to see if it was there, and it is. But I don't see where to choose shape dynamics etc...? Perhaps I made the brush the wrong way?

I've got the brush made and am playing with it but it seems like it won't do the thing I mean...she wants clean, crisp lines that go in the shape of an S. This doesn't seem like it would do that but maybe it's just because I haven't got it tracking the path yet...

Do you remember those pens, which have 3 colors in them, and you could have all 3 colors engaged at once? then you could write and all 3 colors would write for you? that's sort of what I mean, but with bold, clean, lines of stripes in different widths with colors I can choose.

Hey wait...sorry to have wasted your time...I just found the perfect, easy way to do it in Corel Painter...really easy. There is a brush with vivid stripes...I think it's the same idea as you are talking about but seems like it might be easier. Although I still have to get it to track to a path of the letter....
Thanks for your help...I really appreciate it.

Hmmm...same issue...must create brush and track to path which I'm not sure how to do...will look for a tutorial...

I fiddled with several methods, the best result I had is with stroked paths.

All I did was the following.

- first I activated the 19px (pick any size you want) round brush (no soft edge, white)
- then I wrote a word on my tablet with the freeform path tool
- I then went to the path palette and in the flyout menu I selected "stroke path"
- I then added a layer style to make it look 3D
- I added a new layer, selected a smaller blue brush
- Went back to the path palette to stroke the path again

To be honest, none of these methods, regardless which program you use, will look as good as the real thing.

How I would do it if it were my client?

I would draw the text with real tooth paste. ;)

Seriously, what will look better than that??

Put it on a background with great contrast and you can easily extract it.

I would then decide whether to use this photo or use it to rebuild it in either Photoshop or Illustrator. People would then say; how the heck did you do that?

Sorry, but there is no easy way to get good results, that is if you want realism.

Sure, it's going to cost some toothpaste, but the client is going to pay for that, not you.

Of course you can stick to traditional methods and use this for example as a guide:

toothpaste_guardian2.jpg

And if you think I was nuts by using real toothpaste, think again... look at this guy
( just found it after remaking that remark):

4.jpg

And that last photo also pretty much confirms how difficult it is to make something from scratch that looks the same, especially without any freehand painting. ;)

Back