What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to rename a file?

phtshp

Hi, is there a quick way to rename a file in Photoshop? I often need to rename many files open in Photoshop and it would be good just to right-click>rename, but this doesn't exist. Is there some other way to rename files without having to save them?

1558932900816.png

well, you can always rename the files directly from windows not using ps but maybe is not very fast either if there is a lot of files to rename.
Another option maybe it's open all the files with a program like bridge and save them all the program has the option to choose a name and then add numbers but of course this only works if you don't mind that all the files have the same name...

Example George, George1. George 2..........etc etc

But I'm not an expert in this case so maybe someone knows a better way XD.

As long as the file is open in Ps, you can't rename it with Ps. You can "Save As" and give it a new name. This will create a new PSD file while preserving the original PSD file with it's original name.

On a mac, you can change the file name once the file is closed out of Ps. You can probably do the same with a PC.

Thanks for the replies. Since there is no "rename" option, as a workaround, I will do the following: image>duplicate, then type the new name and delete the old file later.

Back