What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to scale down huge banner size? Please help me.

haneliz19

I've been asked to create a huge banner 3375cm x 1780cm (110.73ft x 58.399ft).

When I open photoshop, and press create new, I can only go up to 2540cm on the width.

How do I scale down this banner size? And will it affect the quality of the banner if I do so?

So confused!

Thanks in advance, Hannah.

That's quite a large document to create or edit in actual size. You will be testing the limitations of the file size, your scratch disks, and your PC's memory.

You're probably best off creating a much smaller document in Photoshop that matches the aspect ratio (width to height dimensions) of the banner, and utilize all vector based tools like shapes, text, and vector art placed as smart objects.

You can then talk to the printer or whoever will be making the actual sign and figure out what type of document they can use to print or create it. Something like a .psb (Large Document Format) may work, or perhaps they can take your vector based PSD and scale it up themselves using their own software of choice.

I'ts not very often I do such banners, but when I do I use illustrator instead of photoshop and do it all in vector as @admin suggested using scale 1:10 because Illustrator have canvas limitation of ~570cm. Photoshop file will be enormously big even at very low PPI.
Because it's vector you will not loose any quality, so its very safe.

Back