What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How were these images edited?

mightysugar

Hi everyone,

so I'm a player of a game called Final Fantasy XIV, and what I do with this is taking screenshots and editing them with PS.
I was searching up for some other's cool screenshots and I found out this person, and s/he works just blew my mind.

as you can see, the uploader changed the texture(especially human skin), lightening, shadow, and retouched hair and skin in a very natural way, making the original screenshots look like a whole different game.
I tried to peel out his/her tricks by staring these images for hours but I only get that s/he used burn tool to add some shadow on faces and somehow excellently exercised colour correction for the 3rd image, and added light bokeh texture and white soft light brush on the last image; this is all I could guess. I am really curious about this genius' recipes since editing SS is now my biggest interest playing FFXIV now (lol)

So I wish to ask you for what you guess as her/his tricks for each image. I think learning about these images will be very helpful to improve my PS skills because I can see various PS functions were used to edit one image.

I appreciate your time and regards!

omg 3.jpg

omg .jpg

Screen Shot 2020-03-03 at 12.52.57 AM.png

omg 5.png

omg really.png

Hello and welcome.

Just a quick question before we get started. Did you contact the "girl" (uploader) and ask her what techniques she was using?

Most of the sample edits you have posted are fairly straight forward editing involving several different techniques.

Removal from background
Adding and blending with new background, blurring background
Softening
Blurring
Cloning and brush work
etc.

But no other details? Just that she uses Photoshop.

Do you have a sample image that you would like to work on?
so she had a website where she accepted others' screenshot edit requests, and there she said she would do as much as she could do on PS. so I think PS is the only program she uses.
here is one of what I have at this moment!

ffxiv 2020-02-19 16-51-41.png

Most of the sample edits you have posted are fairly straight forward editing involving several different techniques.

Removal from background
Adding and blending with new background, blurring background
Softening
Blurring
Cloning and brush work
etc.

could you please explain more about "cloning" and "brush work"? because these skills look very delicate

o she had a website where she accepted others' screenshot edit requests, and there she said she would do as much as she could do on PS. so I think PS is the only program she uses.
OK. Confusing. But I take it that you never really asked her how she edited the images? You just concluded that it was Photoshop. I'm asking this because I think you may be surprised that most people like her are willing to share with others what they are doing...............at least that's been the case for me. But nevermind this for now.

Thanks for the sample image. Where do you want to start?

OK. Confusing. But I take it that you never really asked her how she edited the images? You just concluded that it was Photoshop. I'm asking this because I think you may be surprised that most people like her are willing to share with others what they are doing...............at least that's been the case for me. But nevermind this for now.

I apologize that I couldn't give you enough information :( she stopped her twitter activity so I couldn't really contact her. but I'm happy to hear that many people are willing to help others here! I think I'm at the right place :)

what I wish to take after from her works is:

1) the realism: her edit/retouch looks much more "realistic" than the original
2) "natural" colour correction
3) smoother lines
4) realistic human skin texture
5) natural looking light casting using soft light layer

I have other dimensions I wish I had similarity with hers, but I can't really explain them in words. but these are some!

just a quick question, do you suspect if she used other programs apart from PS? I'm just wondering!

just a quick question, do you suspect if she used other programs apart from PS? I'm just wondering!
Probably not.

Where do you want to start with your image? Be specific. Listing all the changes is fine, but they all require explanation. We have to start somewhere specific.

In addition to a starting point, the very first thing you need to determine is where the primary light source is located and what direction. Can you tell me where that is? We need to determine this because we will be doing a lot of shading.

Probably not.

Where do you want to start with your image? Be specific. Listing all the changes is fine, but they all require explanation. We have to start somewhere specific.

In addition to a starting point, the very first thing you need to determine is where the primary light source is located and what direction. Can you tell me where that is? We need to determine this because we will be doing a lot of shading.
I think it's good to start with brightness/contrast....! that's what I always do at the beginning. and I guess the light sources is located there ↗️

ffxiv 2020-02-19 16-51-41.png

I think it's good to start with brightness/contrast
OK..........let's see what you come up with using brightness/contrast.

Remember, we may have differing opinions but yours is the one that counts!

OK.

I also used a curves adj layer as well lightening out the uniform with the accompanying layer mask. It richens the overall color and pulls the bg down a bit.
These can be tweaked to your liking. You can also add additional adj layers if desired.
Before..
Screen Shot 2020-03-02 at 11.36.57 AM.png

After
Screen Shot 2020-03-02 at 11.30.42 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-03-02 at 11.34.34 AM.png

OK.

I also used a curves adj layer as well lightening out the uniform with the accompanying layer mask. It richens the overall color and pulls the bg down a bit.
These can be tweaked to your liking. You can also add additional adj layers if desired.
Before..
View attachment 110548

After
View attachment 110546

View attachment 110547
I've never thought about using a layer mask on an adjustment layer but you gave me the idea! thank you!
now I think we can work on the colour correction, since I think it's irregularly yellow-toned slightly

Back