What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How would one go about "upgrading" old graphics?

tmscaf

Hello,

I'm not sure if this should be on this board or moved to another, so I apologize in advance if this is in the incorrect place.

So what I'm trying to figure out how to do with different filters and features of photoshop is, at face value, make some old game artwork look upgraded and better. The quick summary of my problem is that the artwork comes from a 16 bit game, that used a very limited pallet per sprite/monster in the game. At the time it was great but now, not so much. The catch is though, the "style" is what gives the game character. So I don't want to butcher it too much. I guess I can say that I really just want to add a much better blend of color to the artwork as well as some more defined lines. I've tried going through some suggested methods of sharpening the objects...etc, but I'm not really getting what I think I want. Beauty as they say is in the eye of the beholder, and there in lies the problem :( Anyways, looking forward to everyones responses. Thank you

MaleStandDown.pngImpStandDown.png

You can just add a new layer above the old sprites and then add in the new color shades you desire.
Before
Screen Shot 2018-07-08 at 10.59.27 PM.png

After
Screen Shot 2018-07-08 at 10.59.36 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-07-08 at 11.15.16 PM.png

You can just add a new layer above the old sprites and then add in the new color shades you desire.

Is the size of the image itself handicapping the option I have to add more color to the image? In regard to the how much real-estate is available to how many colors I can add? If that makes sense....

I don't think so. I have compared some of the newer sprites like this one which is about the same size, but has much more dynamic shading.

Screen Shot 2018-07-08 at 11.19.38 PM.png

You can see how much more shading is added in about the same amount of real estate.
These are screen shots so they're not the highest of quality.
Screen Shot 2018-07-08 at 11.23.51 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-07-08 at 11.24.10 PM.png

Back