What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hue\saturation and other changes

Stefs

I learning digital painting. And if i make a mistake in color, and i want to change in color\saturation, or something else, i cant because i have other layer on clipping mask.
Can i somehow change all layers i want, and how?

This is a very non-specific question that would require much more detail from you in order to answer correctly.

i cant because i have other layer on clipping mask.
What other layer clipped to what? You need to show an example with screen shots. You need to explain your current workflow with how you're layer structuring your work.

If done correctly, each color would have it's own layer that can easily be corrected with an adjustment layer.

Hi Stefs
I agree with IamSam that providing a lot more details would help forum members provide better targeted recommendations.
I also agree with IamSam's sentiment that there might be a better way to organize your Layers to achieve adjustments to your digital paintings (that might be a better discussion)

That said I wanted to pass on a couple ways to adjust a specific set of adjacent Layers similar to how a clipping mask limits adjustments to the Layer below

First way
---------
Select all the adjacent Layers that you want to adjust together. Put them in a group:
Layers > Group Layers | or Cmd + G (Ctrl + G on PCs) | or right click on grouped Layers n Layer panel and choose "Group from Layers..." (Blend should default to Pass Through)

Then above that Group, create an Hue/Sat Adjustment Layer and clip that to the group

Second Way
------------
Putting clipped Layers above a group may not suit how you want to organize your Layer Stack so this second approach is another option that does the same yet may feel a bit cleaner
Select all the adjacent Layers that you want to adjust together. Put them in a group:
Layers > Group Layers | or Cmd + G (Ctrl + G on PCs) | or right click on grouped Layers n Layer panel and choose "Group from Layers..." and make sure the option is selected to the Group to have a blend mode of Normal instead of Pass Through

Now expand the group by clicking the down arrow of the Group Layer the the Layer Stack (it shows all Layers in the Group now expanded and indented.
At the very top of these Grouped Layers, add a Hue/Sat Layer (still within the group). Since the Blend mode of the group is normal, the adjustments of the Hue/Sat Adjustment Layer will be limited to the Layers within the Group.

Since the Hue/Sat Layer is inside the Group, when you collapse the Group to make the Layer Group look cleaner, the Hue/Sat Layer will be also hidden within that group for a sightly cleaner look for you Layer Stack

-----------------
I am doing this from memory yet believe this is correct (if wrong I am sure forum members will chime in :) )

Again this only works for adjacent Layers and not arbitrarily selected Layers

Hope this is helpful
John Wheeler

Thanks and sorry for my bad english. Thebestcpu thanks but i dont fint way to do this yet.
I planning to learn digital painting, and i have one question.
Lets say this:
I have a base color, and layes above (clipping mask) is shadow, light etc etc. If i want to go adjustment, i can change only particular layer. So, if i change color, the problem is other layers like shadow will be still the same, and i cant do this in right way. The only way i find is to merge all layers in one. But, this makes painting a lot of harder later. Can i somehow, select the layers i want, and do change for that group of layers?

Sorry Stefs
I do not know of a way to have an adjustment Layer apply to arbitrarily Layers underneath.
Other forum members may have suggestions.
To help with the communication, showing screen shots of your images and Layer Stack would go a long way for other forum members respond more precisely.
Best wishes on learning digital painting.
Here are a couple of links that may help with digital painting
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/how-to/create-digital-painting.html
https://www.creativebloq.com/features/digital-painting-with-photoshop-cc-for-beginners
John Wheeler

I planning to learn digital painting, and i have one question.
Lets say this:
I have a base color, and layes above (clipping mask) is shadow, light etc etc. If i want to go adjustment, i can change only particular layer. So, if i change color, the problem is other layers like shadow will be still the same, and i cant do this in right way. The only way i find is to merge all layers in one. But, this makes painting a lot of harder later. Can i somehow, select the layers i want, and do change for that group of layers?
I have a little experience with digital painting:
https://www.photoshopgurus.com/forum/threads/still-life-digital-painting-study.62440/

https://www.photoshopgurus.com/forum/threads/cat-study-one.62408/

So please hear me when I say that if done correctly, each color would have it's own layer that can easily be corrected with an adjustment layer. I see no need to clip layers to a base color layer and you should NEVER merge layers ever! Always maintain your edit ability. Your problem may be in your layering technique. Perhaps you would be willing to provide examples.

Back