What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Huh? 150KB jpg morphs to 40KB jpg

Cpt.Spaulding

As PS7 just materialized, I'll be busy for awhile. In the meantime I was going to toss a few images on the Show Board.
After fiddling with the images for awhile I managed to get them down to 150 KB. Just now tried attaching them and they are now 40 KB files. There is something that is obviously escaping me on this. Is there a conversion taking place somewhere that I'm not aware of?
Any insight would be appreciated

Thanks
CS

How do you know that they are now 40kb? Where did you check that?
Are you sure that the originals are 150kb? Did you right click on a file in explorer and viewed properties?

You're making the wrong conclusions. The size is never changed ;)

I think G is right here CS.

Did you check the file size using the "Save for Web" function?
Or after you'd saved it out of PS?

The board cannot change the file size automatically -- if that's what's confusing you.

CptSpaulding, are you on a Mac by any chance? The Finder will sometimes show a greater size than it actually is, due to how your hard drive divides up space to make room for a file (it depends on the size of your hard drive). Still, the difference shouldn't be that great!

Hmmmmm. The origional file size of about 140KB was indicated in the PS image size box while creating the file, which I then saved to jpg, setting the image quality slider to 6. Did not use Save For Web.
The 40KB figure was shown in the small box that pops up when adding an attachment on these forums.

Yes, I am on a Mac. G4/400gigether, 1.35gRAM, 60g 7200 IBM, OSX1.5

Just for grins, will stick one of the attachments on this post. The image size box read: 140KB, 180X270, 3X4.5, 60 per in. and was a photoshop file.

Oh well no surprise there then Cpt... it's only 40kb now because you compressed it when saving it out of PS. :)

In PS it's 140kb because it's at full quality -- which = full file size. [honesty]

Back