What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I am no artist so

evilstepdad

Hello, well as the title said I am no artist and there has never been a more true statement made.

If you want to chime in what I would like to know is where do you get some of the vectors and other things that you use in making some of your stuff? I have bought some but maybe I am not finding places that are out there with different offerings. Actually any kind of art or symbol or whatever that might come in handy so a heads up on any places to get some of this would be much appreciated.

I do realize that a lot of you just do your own stuff but I don't have the talent but I think down the road I can make some pretty good stuff using something to start with and making it my own.

Thank You

Do a google searsh for Free Vector Images. There are a lot of sites that offer these for free- you have to register on some sites. But they're not hard to find.

Thanks for getting back to me I have searched and found quite a few sites I was hoping that you all had some private stash of some stuff lol. If you check back in was wondering if you have ever used the Pattern Maker plug in? I want to make a background and have The Zoo thing I have been working on show up all over it...tiled I guess...and will then put our happy hour info over that. If not that then how would you suggest doing that? I will search more tomorrow when I am more awake, laid off work right now but on call and could be called at 6a.m. so burning that candle a little late but really like using this program. I learned a lot yesterday and thank you and the others for the help.

evilstepdad

Well here is my first effort learning a lot and you all are helping. Please let me know my mistakes.Happyhourtile1.jpg

Well besides not sending us free tickets I see no mistakes LOL

LOl iDad You are welcome any time. Will do one for these days and we have happy hour all day on Sundays and Mondays lol. We are going to do music videos now and I will not play them the whole night so when they are not playing I will be doing a slide show with adds in them on upcoming events and things we have going on daily at the zoo so this is my reason for starting to get into this. I really am liking it but frustrating as it seems like the simple things get me bogged down so much.

I am putting one more on here for some feedback as this is a photo I had my daughter take so I could make an add for the $3 Coronas and mirror pond. Please let me know what you think.

What part of the site do you put stuff on to get some feed back on what others think could be done better?beercoronatest6.jpg

Its a bit dark but it looks fine, you are doing good so keep it up. Now where is that Corona located? I might be interested in that!

You're doing an excellent job at your first attempt.... Just remember not to flatten your psd work.... save a jpg copy for use. You can use elements from the layered file on other new work you may have coming...

Thanks I learned about going back day before yesterday LOL so I save in jpeg and psd. Thanks for the comments I know anything I will be doing for awhile but everything starts with basics...at least for me.

ok here's something I am trying to figure out now and that is the quality of setting and how big I can make it. The happy hour add above looks good on the screen when it is full screen and going through my gig rig but it does look like a paper size sitting in the middle of a much bigger area as it does not fill up the screen. I have been working on another one and I played with the size some and it does fill up the screen but a couple of things about it, the cue balls are a little distorted from widening them out now it isn't really all bad on this as I kind of like the look of them. Worried a little that some can't read the text although with my bad eye site I seem to pick up the letters pretty good. These were in a higher and narrower pic so I changed things around to make them work on the wide screens. One of my items to learn is to find the exact right size that will fit and give me good quality and then how to save that as a custom size for when I am doing this.

Do you think there is to much empty space on the sides? I don't want the adds real cluttered but want them to be more than black on white.

Thank Youforgurueyesonly.jpg

Do you mean in your computer monitor itr displays well in fullscreen and id you use it in the club's eqipment, it does not?

If you have an image in your collection that works well in the club monitors, load that image in PS and see what size it is. Create a new work image file from that size.

I would suggest increasing the text size of your heading ( ALL DAY..... DRINK SPECIALS ) and the others....

Select a bolder font to make it more prominent..... To make the text standout a bit more, add a shadow or a dark glow effect behind it...

If you stretched the balls lengthwise , you can can stertch them height-wise to compensate the distortion.....

As for your zoo logo.... why not create a badge/button as the background....

Thanks as always for the feedback. I will play with the fonts etc. and see what I can do and will have to look up badge/button to see just what that is.

Another quick question, which program would you say that adobe has would be best for mostly photography? My daughter is in School right now and is getting ready to buy something. She has tried out two differnt versions of lightroom and she liked the older one she had tried. She wants something she can make the changes to her photos with but I do know that she likes to do stuff out of the norm at times and so with this in mind which one would you reccomend? Money will be tight but she is getting something but probably can not get two or three different ones at this time.

Thank You

Well I played with a few fonts and put a little glow to them and made the text a little larger and I must say it pops a lot better especially on the screen. Don't get me wrong I am not saying it is good but for me it is good right now and although I put a lot of stuff on here I am very appreciative of the help that anyone gives me.

Thank You and feed back more than welcome.forgurueyesonly2.jpg

Uhhhh .... OK the text stands out better now.... THe top Heading is OK..... Stretch and enlarge "Drink Specials a bit.... the rest - stretch a bit more to lessen the spaces on the sides and little bit taller.

But the Zoo shrank..... should have kept it at that size in the last post... What I meant of button was some thing like .....

View attachment 3172

View attachment 3173

not exactly like this ... but something of your preference.... it's just to give you ideas....

Last edited:
Another quick question, which program would you say that adobe has would be best for mostly photography? My daughter is in School right now and is getting ready to buy something. She has tried out two differnt versions of lightroom and she liked the older one she had tried. She wants something she can make the changes to her photos with but I do know that she likes to do stuff out of the norm at times and so with this in mind which one would you reccomend? Money will be tight but she is getting something but probably can not get two or three different ones at this time.

Thank You

That would be Photoshop Elements.... not as robust and versatile as Photoshop, But usually used for personal photomanagement and Photographers.... edit photos, photo editing software program | Adobe Photoshop Elements 9

Thank you. By the way, how did you get the background light effect on the letters of the zoo? My son was here and He said in Vegas ...He does a lot of video stuff...you get to one part and then there is a slider bar to adjust the affect with. What section or ?? do I get started trying this or is this painted on ???

Thank You or anyone else who might know.

Back