What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I can really hate PS sometimes...

MrToM

Guru
Just done a substantial amount of work on a particular project which called for a PDF file.
No probs...File > Save As > Sweet as...
Back to original PSD file...
Edit...
Edit...
Save...
Edit...
Edit...
Save...Hang on!
Why is photoshop saving as PDF?
Save As...(PSD)
Bam!
All Layers gone.
One flattened PSD file.
Thanks Adobe....NOT!

I read the warning about saving as PDF too......it said it CAN change the Save As settings in the Save As dialog...
...Didn't say it bloody well would!

Why does it do that? Why change the settings? Just what is Adobe on? Can I have some? Please.

Lesson learnt on that one....but what a stoooooopid thing to do!

Regards.
MrAngry.

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
Wow..you didn't lose the work all together, just the layers? I never save as a PDF until the last step and sure I have saved one as a PSD also. I feel your pain though, everyone makes mistakes from time to time, I make my share for sure.

MrToM

Guru
...Wow..you didn't lose the work all together, just the layers?...
Yeah....thats about the jist of it.

Wasn't paying attention but then you shouldn't need to....when its a completely different file you don't expect IT to take on the last 'Save As...' for another.

It could have been VERY disastrous....what if I had saved ALL my open files automatically when closing them!
ALL those PSD's would now be flattened PDF's!

Its one to watch.

As it turns out its no big deal....this time....small edit and not much different to my last save but........I still had to go change my trousers.

That link is pretty good but unless I'm doing something wrong it didn't work for me.
The PDF is just a single layer, couldn't trace it or anything in Ai....going through that process just puts it into a another group...

Screenshot.Png

Many thanks for the link though, appreciated, maybe I'm just doing it wrong.

Regards.
MrBrownTrousers.

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
I'm trying to figure out now why it flattened it. If you checked Preserve Layers it should have done that. Oh well, lesson learned, I tried it just now and the layers were still there. Go to bed and worry about it tomorrow. What is it,,about 2 am there?
Yeah....thats about the jist of it.

Wasn't paying attention but then you shouldn't need to....when its a completely different file you don't expect IT to take on the last 'Save As...' for another.

It could have been VERY disastrous....what if I had saved ALL my open files automatically when closing them!
ALL those PSD's would now be flattened PDF's!

Its one to watch.

As it turns out its no big deal....this time....small edit and not much different to my last save but........I still had to go change my trousers.

That link is pretty good but unless I'm doing something wrong it didn't work for me.
The PDF is just a single layer, couldn't trace it or anything in Ai....going through that process just puts it into a another group...

View attachment 50310

Many thanks for the link though, appreciated, maybe I'm just doing it wrong.

Regards.
MrBrownTrousers.

MrToM

Guru
LOL....thanks Larry......its now 3:48 AM...and you posted that an hour ago so....it WAS 2:48 !

Who needs sleep anyway.

Thanks for trying to sort that out......its probably my own stupidity but I still think that whatever I did was just too easy to do.....especially as it could have been so much worse....I mean, its not like getting a 'D' in maths or anything. [Guess the movie that quote is from!]

Regards.
MrSleepy.