What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Specific I need a dxf of the bird on this image HELP!!!!

Liam Harris

Hi , Can anyone help me create a Vector or help me create a DXF file of this Bird on the attahced image its not clear enough for me to use an online converting toolsomerford-park-logo.jpg

thebestcpu

Guru
Hi @Liam Harris
Got back to place where I could vectorize the image. It is attached as a zip file holding the DXF image.
Let me know if you have any issues.
Also included a screen cut and paste of the image (raster) so you an see what is in the file.
John Wheeler

Screen Shot 2021-06-07 at 12.10.46 PM.png

Attachments

• Brid convert to vector.dxf.zip
    27.1 KB · Views: 1

ex_teacher

Guru
Hi @Liam Harris
Got back to place where I could vectorize the image. It is attached as a zip file holding the DXF image.
Let me know if you have any issues.
Also included a screen cut and paste of the image (raster) so you an see what is in the file.
John Wheeler

View attachment 121695
No fair.
This is as clean and elegant as vector files get. Essentially no superfluous anything. Great job.
I could get a file this clean but it would take me a huge amount of time. You just seem to effortlessly do this. Would you spill your trade secrets?

thebestcpu

Guru
Hi @ex_teacher and actually I am not an expert. I am just beginning to learn Adobe Illustrator and I am a big proponent one of Einsteins quotes: "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.”

To that end there is a capability in Illustrator that does tracing of bitmap images to create vector images. It has quite a few knobs and dials and options. Just tuned it in a bit and then exported from Illustrator as DXF.

Here is the panel and image. I don't know these were the exact settings I used yet you can easily play with them until you get the effect you want. It is not always the minimum number of vectors to get the job done yet I prioritize my time over minimizing the vectors. Just took a couplbe minutes esecially since this was just a Black and White version.

It is not always that effortless yet will take effortless when I can get it :)
John Wheeler

Screen Shot 2021-06-07 at 8.02.17 PM.png

ex_teacher

Guru
Thank you. "Auto-trace' has come a long, long, long way.
I own a very old version of Illustrator; (probably the oldest that runs on Win 10) and still use it occasionally. I've used Corel Draw for the last 25+ years as I find the interface a good fit for me. My latest version seems to have sophisticated tracing that I need to further explore.
Doing it my way is brutal. Time to get learning the latest and hope it's similar function-wise to illustrator.
Thanks very much.

ex_teacher

Guru
An addendum: Well this has been a great learning experience, thanks to you.

Corel Draw 2019 has a function called 'Quick Trace' that I’ve used before . It is mindless but erratic. Select the bitmap and click ‘Quicktrace’…done. In this case it did a great job although it missed the bird’s eye.
CD2019 also has two types of Centerline Trace and 6 types of outline trace, all wrapped up in a single embedded tool called ‘Powertrace’ I did a screenshot if anyone is interested and it shows selecting the type of Preview and a magnification of that preview. If you check out the ‘History’ you can see me fiddling with various combinations, mostly with default settings. With the exception of a slight bump on the eye the results here are more than acceptable. Of course this is a simple design.

You got me off my duff and checking out this powerful revised feature set.

PowerTrace.jpg